wickedways is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow wickedways On Twitter
    PIN
    Device
    ßOLD 9000
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Liked
    5 times
    Well, that sucks! It gave me a fatal error somewhere during the install, and now my phone is jacked with a white screen and a white line. I need to restore it back first before I try again but where in the hell is my backup that was created?? and how do I restore it?

ealvnv is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow ealvnv On Twitter
    PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    9 times
    couple of question are you trying to load the os via Desktop Manager right?
    ill guide you in the process but need to know this before.

what os are you loading and what the error on the screen say?
    BlackBerry by Choice!

olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedways View Post
    Well, that sucks! It gave me a fatal error somewhere during the install, and now my phone is jacked with a white screen and a white line. I need to restore it back first before I try again but where in the hell is my backup that was created?? and how do I restore it?
    Also, check out the guide here: Upgrade/Downgrade/Bricked BB Guide

Keep us posted

PIN
    Device
    ßOLD 9000
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Liked
    5 times
    I was running 4.6.0.282 and decided to upgrade to the 5.0.0.100

I installed the 5.0.0.100
    Deleted "vendor.xml" from c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    Dbl click on Loader.exe

I had that program to do a backup, it gives you two options, backup or don't backup prior to install in a nutshell.

It was doing its thing, I walked away from the computer, came back later and a message appeared saying Fatal Error. I did not write down the msg, or the code if i can even recall if one was given. It told me where the backup file is to restore it but STUPID me figured I'll remember it and minutes later I have no clue. I guess the stress level went sky high when my screen was white with tiny font saying error and a couple other sayings. I restarted the phone, but not much restarting when nothing is happening other than again, white screen of death.

I believed the backup was in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\Loader Files\9000E_v5.0.0.100_P4.3.0.20

There's alot of ALX files and a PkgDBCache.xml file. So now I need to restore my backup of version 4.6.0.282. DM won't work because i never did a backup with it, which this will never happen again.

/edit: I'm assuming at this point the phone is nuked, and I need to start with this link? http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/b...ked-berry.html
    Last edited by wickedways; 07-08-2009 at 01:19 AM.

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    I was running 4.6.0.282 and decided to upgrade to the 5.0.0.100

I installed the 5.0.0.100
    Deleted "vendor.xml" from c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    Dbl click on Loader.exe

I had that program to do a backup, it gives you two options, backup or don't backup prior to install in a nutshell.

It was doing its thing, I walked away from the computer, came back later and a message appeared saying Fatal Error. I did not write down the msg, or the code if i can even recall if one was given. It told me where the backup file is to restore it but STUPID me figured I'll remember it and minutes later I have no clue. I guess the stress level went sky high when my screen was white with tiny font saying error and a couple other sayings. I restarted the phone, but not much restarting when nothing is happening other than again, white screen of death.

I believed the backup was in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\Loader Files\9000E_v5.0.0.100_P4.3.0.20

There's alot of ALX files and a PkgDBCache.xml file. So now I need to restore my backup of version 4.6.0.282. DM won't work because i never did a backup with it, which this will never happen again.
    I suggest, restarting PC...then wipe phone and try again....You probably lost your 3rd party apps, so you may need to download them manually or from previous back up after you update but your back up of phone should be there under My Documents....

so,
    1. Restart PC
    2. Battery pull on phone
    3. Wipe phone again
    4. Try loading the OS thru Loader.exe
    5. Restore all
    6. Do a battery pull

Hope this helps

PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    9 times
    what happened was that you got the error either because of an incopatible application with 5.0 or you had your browser cache uncleared, i'd go with oltas suggestion and then reinstall again, your backup can be found running the search option in the computer should be named some like loader backup (today's date).ipd
    BlackBerry by Choice!

PIN
    Device
    ßOLD 9000
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Liked
    5 times
    Wipe is completed. Question is if I now try to install 5.0.0.100, would i be able to install my backup or does this backup (which i found it as you both suggested) contains everything including the OS, which then I would be downgrading. I can reload the apps, I just don't want to lose my phone book, my calendar, notes, ect ect as I'm sure they were part of that file *.ipd. Btw thanks so much for the help!

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by wickedways
    Wipe is completed. Question is if I now try to install 5.0.0.100, would i be able to install my backup or does this backup (which i found it as you both suggested) contains everything including the OS, which then I would be downgrading. I can reload the apps, I just don't want to lose my phone book, my calendar, notes, ect ect as I'm sure they were part of that file *.ipd. Btw thanks so much for the help!
    The back up only contains your personal info such as messages, calendar entries, options/settings, browser options and so on. Don't worry, you will not downgrade. Good luck

PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    9 times
    this back up should work, load the os first, the open the desktop manager, click on back up and restore, select advanced, you will have to windows, on the left one uper left corner select open, locate your back up, this will open your backup, highlight what you want and click on the arrow that look like >> and this will load what you highlighted, do the same to all the info you want to load to the phone...

or just run the regular restore process is up to you....
    BlackBerry by Choice!

PIN
    Device
    ßOLD 9000
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Liked
    5 times
    olta777 and ealvnv, you guys rock! In the process I learned the darkside as I have upgraded a couple times in the past but never ran into problems like this. I appreciate all your help, especially at this time of the day (3am) where I thought hope was at a lost. I'm running 5.0.0.100 with all my stuff back online with only minor applications to reinstall.

I can now see why this site stands out in the forefront. Thanks again!!!!
    Last edited by wickedways; 07-08-2009 at 02:53 AM.

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    olta777 and ealvnv, you guys rock! In the process I learned the darkside as I have upgraded a couple times in the past but never ran into problems like this. I appreciate all your help, especially at this time of the day (3am) where I thought hope was at a lost. I'm running 5.0.0.100 with all my stuff back online with only minor applications to reinstall.

Yes Olta and Ealnv are great. Glad they were able to get everything up and running for you.

PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    9 times
    Wirelessly posted (Bold 9000 )

Was pleasure, nice to know is up and running, now enjoy it..
    BlackBerry by Choice!

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by wickedways

Yay! There's nothing better than a BB that runs smooth! I am glad we were able to get you thru the process. Enjoy!!! :arms: :arms:

smis is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    the one that works :)
    Liked
    0 times
    I have tried everything it goes to 2 steps then it stops responding error I get I run as administrator as well.

Device
    Liked
    0 times

How do you like it?

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smis View Post
    I have tried everything it goes to 2 steps then it stops responding error I get I run as administrator as well.
    Ok...let's start from fresh.....

Are you trying to update your phone?
    Which steps have you done?
    What error are you getting?

Here is the: Upgrade/Downgrade/Bricked BB Guide

Keep us posted and will walk ya thru the process

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smis View Post
    How do you like it?
    I have only heard good things about 5.0 for the Bold.

Device
    Liked
    0 times
    I am trying to upgrade to 5.0 I just got my phone on monday and want to upgrade it to 5.0. I have tried both upgrade methods with DM and apploader. The apploader loads up then it goes to the both checkmarks then it says it stopped responding and then exits.
    With the DM I load up DM then it shows the updates and I select the 5.0 then it says nothing to update for my device.

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by smis
    I am trying to upgrade to 5.0 I just got my phone on monday and want to upgrade it to 5.0. I have tried both upgrade methods with DM and apploader. The apploader loads up then it goes to the both checkmarks then it says it stopped responding and then exits.
    With the DM I load up DM then it shows the updates and I select the 5.0 then it says nothing to update for my device.
    A couple things:

I would recommend restarting your PC. Also, did you delete the vendor.xml file? it's located c: program files>common files>research in motion>app loader and scroll to the bottom. Make sure it's deleted otherwise your pc will not recognize the os.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast