PIN
    30657F77
    Device
    STORM 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Track ball malfunctioning on Bold

I dropped my Bold a few days ago from about 2ft on a carpeted floor and the track ball started to malfunction. It will only move vertical, and horizontal if I push down on the portion of the pad below it hard enough. I also lifted up the panel around the track ball slightyl and pushed down on the cradle the ball sits in and it worked in all directions for a while but with a lag then stopped. I ordered a new track ball and cradle as well. Is this a problem with the track ball mechanism, or could it possibly be the circuitry for the track ball?

bbcrackman is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master
    PIN
    yes
    Device
    9000/9530/9630/
    OS
    5.0.0.3xx
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MASERATIGUY View Post
    I dropped my Bold a few days ago from about 2ft on a carpeted floor and the track ball started to malfunction. It will only move vertical, and horizontal if I push down on the portion of the pad below it hard enough. I also lifted up the panel around the track ball slightyl and pushed down on the cradle the ball sits in and it worked in all directions for a while but with a lag then stopped. I ordered a new track ball and cradle as well. Is this a problem with the track ball mechanism, or could it possibly be the circuitry for the track ball?
    The trackball does get contaminated and occasionally the trackball will quit working. If you have an Air Can ( what is used to remove dust from your pc) you can blow out around the trackball and it should start to work. The malfunction is usually the trackball and not a circuitry problem.

MASERATIGUY is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    30657F77
    Device
    STORM 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Tried that and still nothing, the track ball doesn't even light up when moved, and only when I push down on the panel just below it.

PIN
    yes
    Device
    9000/9530/9630/
    OS
    5.0.0.3xx
    Liked
    5 times
    Tried that and still nothing, the track ball doesn't even light up when moved, and only when I push down on the panel just below it.

It may be the trackball cradle not making contact in the device. Didnt you say you ordered another one. If so, it may take care of the issue. If youre up to it, you can disassemble the Bold and clean the contact area with a q-tip and alcohol. Dont soak it, just enough to clean it. If not you will have to wait for the new one

Crucial is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Liked
    0 times
    Using a can of compressed air or what ever will not work on the 9000. The TB itself sits in a housing surrounded on all sides. I doubt very seriously you broke anything, I just think it's not making proper contact.
    In order to change the TB on the Bold, you must preform surgery. You must take the entire device apart to get to it. It's rather easy as long as you take your time. All you need is a T5 Torx drive. Check Sears or your local hardware store. You can find a disassembly video at the link below. Just be sure to take your time.--> BlackBerry 81xx/83xx/88xx/9000 OEM trackball- Microsoft, Tools, Nokia, Mobiado, Panasonic, Apple, Samsung, Acer, SonyEricsson,

Select video.

PIN
    yes
    Device
    9000/9530/9630/
    OS
    5.0.0.3xx
    Liked
    5 times

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial View Post
    Using a can of compressed air or what ever will not work on the 9000. The TB itself sits in a housing surrounded on all sides. I doubt very seriously you broke anything, I just think it's not making proper contact.
    In order to change the TB on the Bold, you must preform surgery. You must take the entire device apart to get to it. It's rather easy as long as you take your time. All you need is a T5 Torx drive. Check Sears or your local hardware store. You can find a disassembly video at the link below. Just be sure to take your time.--> BlackBerry 81xx/83xx/88xx/9000 OEM trackball- Microsoft, Tools, Nokia, Mobiado, Panasonic, Apple, Samsung, Acer, SonyEricsson,

Select video.

Thanks Crucial, learn new things everyday! Mind if I post the vid in the How To forum?

Crucial is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bbcrackman View Post
    Thanks Crucial, learn new things everyday! Mind if I post the vid in the How To forum?
    Not at all although it's not mine. It's a very helpful video. Especially those concerned with preforming surgery on their 9000. lol. It can be overwhelming for the new user. As long as they take their time and are gentle, it's smooth sailing.

Brett Wyman is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times
    I like my solution when something on the phone does not work. Throw it at the wall.

Hulkster1970 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow Hulkster1970 On Twitter
    Device
    Bold 9780
    Liked
    1 times
    I have this morning dismantled my Bold in order to clean around and under the trackball mechanism due to issues with it stopping working occasionally. Plenty of crud was removed. It is easy if you take your time, just like Crucial says :cool2:

Hulkster1970 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow Hulkster1970 On Twitter
    Device
    Bold 9780
    Liked
    1 times
    Trackball is still working as sweet as 'brand new'. Obviously now I've said that it'll be me taking it apart again tomorrow!

wickedways is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow wickedways On Twitter
    PIN
    Device
    ßOLD 9000
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Liked
    5 times

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedways View Post
    they must of removed the video.
    try this one

Video

Haven't seen it all the way through but looks like it might work for ya

sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedways View Post
    they must of removed the video.
    If you go to YouTube and search for "blackberry trackball replace" or something similar, you will find a bunch of videos on replacing the trackball in a Blackberry device.

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Two things...first if it doesnt show damage they will replace it, second there is a place and I dont remember where you can order the whole trackball assembly for like 3 bucks