Poor Reception

Thread: Poor Reception

jcrompton is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    bold
    Liked
    0 times

Poor Reception

I have used a Bold 9000 off and on for probably almost 2 years. It has been my old stand by through trying a Tilt2, HD2 and an HTCDesire.

One thing for sure is that the Bold is easier to use one handed and it has (at least until now) always had better reception especially borderline areas.

The problem I am having now since upgrading to the latest 681 version is that sitting here where my reception is usually 4 bars I can't hardly carry out a conversation. I have not had any such problems with the other devices.

Is this reception a common problem?

Is there a suggested fix? Is there a suggested radio file for US ATT phones?

Thanks!!
    JC

dbone15 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    Bwahahaha!
    Device
    Tour 9630 & Sto
    OS
    Always Changing
    Liked
    1 times
    It may just be that the radio file in that new OS does not work well with cell towers in your area. Have you tried downgrading to make sure that this is an OS issue and that there is not a problem with your phone?

An option may be to use the swap-a-radio utility by Lyricidal to use the radio file from an OS that worked well for you.

Device
    bold
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey thanks for the reply

I tried the Swap a Radio in Lyricidal's Shrink-OS and it said the radio had been swapped - but when I ran the loader it didn;t seem to "update" anything.

Is there a way to tell if you have successfully channged your radio? If I run the desktop manager will it recognize any changes once you've "swapped" the radio in the loader files?

Thanks
    JC

PS- I definitely have a problem in that I was out to dinner with someone last night and they had thier Bold 9000 at the same table - I had NO reception and they had several bars! They have never upgrade thier phone - just "stock" AT&T

PIN
    Bwahahaha!
    Device
    Tour 9630 & Sto
    OS
    Always Changing
    Liked
    1 times
    The platform number in your about screen would have to correspond to the radio file that you loaded on the device? What OS radio did you load to your device and I will look for the platform. Thanks.

Device
    bold
    Liked
    0 times
    The radio I tried to load was 4.6.0.301 but again I didn;t see any changes as I ran the loader or device manager.

Thanks for your help and any other suggestions!

PIN
    Bwahahaha!
    Device
    Tour 9630 & Sto
    OS
    Always Changing
    Liked
    1 times
    What's the base OS? Are you trying to use a 4.7 radio with a 5.0 OS? If so, that is not possible it wouldn't even load to your phone.

Device
    bold
    Liked
    0 times
    That was what I tried to do! I didn't know it wouldn't load! But instead of not loading I got no change. You think maybe that is a safety mechanism of the Shrink OS program?

I'll try one of the 5.0 radios!

PIN
    Bwahahaha!
    Device
    Tour 9630 & Sto
    OS
    Always Changing
    Liked
    1 times
    It's possible. Not sure about the new version of swap a radio. Most likely it did not swap at all for one reason of another.