Entertainment Tonight Week #2 Flixster
After a couple weeks of unintended hiatus, Entertainment Tonight is back with Week #2! Tonight we'll be going in depth over another BlackBerry favorite...
As a huge movie lover, Flixster has easily become one of the most used apps on my BlackBerry. It is so user friendly and convenient for so many movie-related activities. I remember the days of having to use a web link app to a mobile site to check movie times and that was all you could do. Having a app that does it all without needing to access mobile sites is a huge plus on the side of Flixster. This is just one of the many benefits Flixster offers.
Upon opening the app you are greeted with the screen below which shows right off the bat, the movies that are opening in theaters that week. At the top of the app you have 5 different sections:
- Box Office
The Box Office tab features all the current movies out in theaters and divides them up into "Opening This Week" and "Top Box Office." Upon clicking on one of the movie titles the Movie Details screen opens up. I've found that having Flixster open up to this tab specifically is the best as it allows to see what's new, what's current and makes choosing a movie easy.
The movie details section gives you the opportunity to:
- Look at the movies details. A quick synopsis of the movie, rating, running time, genre, and theater release information is available.
- Director, cast information. Which connects to each individual actor's page which features more information about said actor and pictures.
- Watch the movie trailer. The quality of the movie trailer is surprisingly good and it gets the job done. I've never had any issues with loading or buffering with these trailers.
- Get Showtimes. This screen let's you see your favorite theater's times and also allows you to pick the date, the theater and change your location if you wish to.
- Check out photos from the movie. A nice little feature that simply adds another angle to the complete movie experience.
- Read critic and user reviews. Flixster provides in depth critic and user reviews of every movie from the site RottenTomatoes.com. I personally don't pay attention to critic reviews ever but many people do so it's a useful feature for them.
The Theaters' tab is possibly the second most used tab out of all of them in this app as it allows the user to:
- Search theaters nearby
- Set favorite theaters
- And access theater times and info
Each individual theater screen then allows you to be able to call the theater, search nearby restaurants, map the theater using BlackBerry Maps and change Showtime date.
The Upcoming tab enables the user to look at movies that will be released in the next couple of weeks. This tab is super useful when you can't really remember what the name or date of that movie you saw the trailer for and you want to see is, well hey now you can just go to the Upcoming tab and look for it there. Odds are it will be.
The DVD tab gives you information about all the new and coming soon DVD releases. It also lets you search for dates when movies were released into DVD in case for some reason that information is relevant to you.
The final tab is the Search tab and it lets you look up all information you could want about any movie released. I don't know how far back it goes in terms of date but I haven't been able to not find a movie in their database as of now.
This app is simply awesome. It does what an app is intended to do, simplify a task. Any movie goer needs to have this app as it really helps make it an easier and even better time at the movies. It takes about 10 seconds to open Flixster, click on a movie, click the theater you want and get show times and that makes this app top notch. Add to that a slammin' UI, quick response and accuracy and you have one of the best apps available for BlackBerry.
Entertainment Tonight's Grading Chart
- Design/User Interface: 5/5 stars
- Amount of content: 4/5 stars
- Productivity: 5/5 stars
- Ease of use: 5/5 stars
- Overall score: 4.75 stars
- Download Flixster from App World.
- Have you tried Flixster? Share your experience with us!