Twitter for BlackBerry set for public beta release
I have just received notification from the BBExaminer that Twitter for BlackBerry will go in open beta tonight, Thursday, April 8, 2010.
This is what he said:
Research In Motion will release a public beta of the [Twitter] app later on tonight for anyone and everyone to download!
This beta will feature some improvements based on user feedback, including the following:
- Notifications of New Tweets and @Replies/Mentions
- When an @reply/mention is received, the user will be notified with a splat on the BlackBerry home screen ribbon as well as the application icon
- Users will also be notified of new tweets in the BlackBerry Messages list
- Twitter Lists Functionality
- Comprehensive option to build a list of Twitter users on any subject
- Ability to add members to the list and view subscribers of the lists
- Users can also view other users’ lists
- Profile Editing
- Users can edit their own Twitter profile from the application
- Users can also change their profile image from the application
- Personalization Settings
- Users can customize the look of the application with the ability to:
- Show/hide the navigation bar and tweetbox
- Change the font/style to their own preferred choice
- Enlarged Avatar (Profile Picture) Viewing
- Users can click on a Twitter profile image and it will be enlarged for better viewing abilities
- Improved in-Application Caching/Polling
- Increased on-device caching for Timeline; Mentions to improve application performance
Add all these on to the features Twitter for BlackBerry has, and you've got one great Twitter application! You can download the beta version tonight at 9 PM Eastern Time from the BlackBerry BetaZone and the test center in BlackBerry App World. After downloading, be sure to head back here or reply to BlackberryOS on Twitter and let us know what you think of it! This is indeed an exciting time for all those who didn't get the chance to try the initial beta releases and for those that did get a chance to see if their feedback has paid off and the changes have been made.