e-GPS app reviewed!
e-GPS is one handy little app. It has a lot of the features of some of its more expensive competitors but at a fraction of the cost. I have been using this app for a couple days and played with most of the features.
Here is a description of the app;
An application for the BlackBerry(R) Smartphone. If you have ever lost, misplaced or had your phone stolen, or want to cover yourself in case it happens in the future, then this is the app for you.
It allows you to remotely send a command to your phone that will have your phone email you, its GPS location, your address book with all your contact information, as well as remotely wipe your phone and SD card to protect all of your information. Also if you have misplaced your phone at home or office, you can send an alert command, and have it ring, even if the sounds are turned completely off or set to vibrate. Once downloaded and activated, it runs in the background, and works by command, through email or SMS.
- Once you Enable the program, you can send remote commands to your phone to make it back up your contacts, send its GPS location, sound an alert even when your phone is muted/on vibrate (so that you can locate it), as well as remotely wipe the phone and memory card.
- Back up contacts- contactsxxxx (where xxxx is the pin you set) - to back up your contacts to your email.
- Location sent to you- locationxxxx (where xxxx is the pin you set) - to send the GPS location of the phone.
- Find your phone even if its on vibrate or silence- alertxxxx (where xxxx is the pin you set) - to sound an alert so you can locate your phone.
- Erase it all the OS, memory card all of it- wipexxxx (where xxxx is the pin you set) - to remotely wipe your phone and SD card.
- The commands can be sent via SMS or email.
- PLEASE MAKE SURE TO DO A BATTERY PULL AFTER ENABLING THE APPLICATION FOR THE FIRST TIME.
- IF YOU ARE A VERIZON CUSTOMER PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOUR GPS IS UNBLOCKED FOR THIRD PARTY APPLICATIONS!
Here is my review of the features. My comments will be Blue for good, and Red for bad. So with out further ado;
- Contact Backup- WOW! This is a great way to get your contacts if you have lost your phone. It sends them in a simple text file but it would be far better than nothing if you ever lost your trusty berry.
- Location- Works perfect. You want to make sure you have it set to an address that you can view through webmail though so that you get the email back with your location.
- Alerts- Ok so if your anything like me I set my phone down randomly at home and often forget where. Now with a simple email I can easily find it. Even if its on silent. The alert is very loud so you will definitely here it going off and find your phone. Alert can not be silenced once your phone is found, but I talked to the developer and they have plans to add that feature.
- Remote Wipe- Now I did not try this feature but if it works like the rest, it could be a real life saver
- Sending Commands- It was easiest for me to send via email. They worked the second the email was received. I didn't have another phone to try and use the sms feature.
- Customer service- I had a simple problem and emailed customer service. It was less than 5 minutes to get a response and answer to my questions. They were also very helpful in getting my issue resolved. Memory usage- Virtually 0. This app is small and very light on the memory when running.
Now with all that said. On a scale of 1-5, 5 being the best and 1 being the worst. e-GPS scores a healthy 4 out of 5. My reasons it doesn't get a perfect 5 are 3 very simple ones. 1- Not being able to silence the alert(when fixed will bump up to 4.5). 2- The UI could use just a little more to be pleasing to the eye. 3- When you use the email to send the message you have to type the command in the subject line, and in the text body, which is not a huge deal but it was enough to knock of .25 of the score. Overall for the price and ability of this app I would highly recommend it to all.
Great review...Might have to give this a go. :fing02:
Thanks for the write up.
Looks like a GREAT app, that you can play hide and go seek with!!!
Great Review J....Love this application...the size is small...but it can do so much if you do lose your phone. I am an owner and a fan of this application!
yea this really is a great app, the price is great.. cant beat it IMHO
how do i keep tracking of my phone from my computer
What do you mean check the location?
Originally Posted by wdfalco
You would have to log into the email that you have the app set to from the pc.. to get the msg and then use the location on a map to find your phone... I believe