HTC Eris OS discussion - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 83

Thread: HTC Eris OS discussion

  1. #61
    rlervin's Avatar
    rlervin is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow rlervin On Twitter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Weber City, Va
    PIN
    310D15AC
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Willyboy 95xx v3.1 .
    Posts
    555
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    Here is another thing I found out about android OS:

    The reason android OS doesn't kill apps, is that is the way it allows multitasking. If app isn't used for a while, the OS will kill it...otherwise, when you tap homescreen from the app, the OS puts the app to sleep so it uses minimal resources. If system gets overloaded or memory runs low, the OS will kill apps automatically. This is nice! Also, please remember not to do battery pulls or hard resets, as that is same as doing a security wipe on a blackberry and will delete your information and all the apps that were loaded.
    Good info. Thanks for sharing!


    OS: Willyboy 95xx v3.1 .580-.734/.743/.758/6.0.0.31 & Shrink-A-OS
    Rules and Guidelines l Help Center


  2. #62
    sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    Also, please remember not to do battery pulls or hard resets, as that is same as doing a security wipe on a blackberry and will delete your information and all the apps that were loaded.
    That's a bit of a bummer.

  3. #63
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    Here is another thing I found out about android OS:

    The reason android OS doesn't kill apps, is that is the way it allows multitasking. If app isn't used for a while, the OS will kill it...otherwise, when you tap homescreen from the app, the OS puts the app to sleep so it uses minimal resources. If system gets overloaded or memory runs low, the OS will kill apps automatically. This is nice! Also, please remember not to do battery pulls or hard resets, as that is same as doing a security wipe on a blackberry and will delete your information and all the apps that were loaded.
    I have done a number of battery pulls (creature of habit) and nothing has been deleted.

  4. #64
    Prince Jah's Avatar
    Prince Jah is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beantown MA
    PIN
    NING 1 "CO
    Device
    S2 and Wifey S1
    OS
    Lyric(705H)/607 OS P
    Posts
    579
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    I have done a number of battery pulls (creature of habit) and nothing has been deleted.

    I havent done a number of them but I've done 2 since I got my ERIS...It does not delete anything..

  5. #65
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    That's what I read...so just passing on...I wonder if there is an additional step or two to do a hard reset...as the hard reset is what does the reset. Here is a quote from the manual:

    10.4 Resetting the Phone

    Resetting the phone deletes all data, including downloaded
    applications, and resets the phone back to its initial state—the state
    before you turned on the phone for the first time.
    Important Make sure to back up important data you have on the phone
    before you reset your phone.

    To reset the phone
    1. Press HOME > MENU, then tap Settings > Security > Factory data
    reset.
    2. On the Factory data reset screen, tap Reset phone and then tap
    Erase everything.
    To reset the phone using phone buttons
    1. With the phone turned off, press and hold the VOLUME DOWN
    and SEND buttons
    2. Press the END/POWER button. You will see a screen with 3
    Android images at the bottom of the screen.
    3. Follow the instructions onscreen to reset your phone.
    Tip If your phone hangs or freezes, remove the battery then wait for a few
    seconds, and then re-install it. After re-installing the battery, turn on the
    phone.
    I know this doesn't say much about a battery pull or not at all actually , but it shows how to do a data wipe/hard reset....also see my post above for memory management in android OS in regards to battery pulls
    Last edited by olta777; 11-15-2009 at 01:50 AM.

  6. #66
    xwera43's Avatar
    xwera43 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oregon via SoCal
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey!
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    v5.0.0.xxx
    Posts
    382
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted (9530 Storm)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    I am telling ya...this one is as good as the droid...just may be a little slower...also, check out the task killer app in the market...and YES :17: that market place is so addicting :07:

    I already have all my storm games on eris (so that's like 20+)
    Speaking of task killer

    I was using Advanced Task killer and noticed a significant battery drain while using it. So I did some research and came across Advanced Task manager (it isn't free costs .99) but much better on battery and a ton more options
    Oooo! OK, grabbing Droid from porch & canceling FedEx pickup. That may be why my battery was only lasting 4-5hrs!

    Glad I looked in here tonight (although I do have a list of over 13 things I don't like about the Droid I posted earlier).

    ~X

  7. #67
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Appears that eris update is rolling out tonight slowly

    First Droid Eris update makes the slow OTA rollout starting tonight -- Engadget

    ...that means root and hero 2.0 Rom is to follow
    Posted via mobile device
    Last edited by olta777; 12-09-2009 at 11:32 PM.

  8. #68
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times

    Update Eris through VZW website

    For those who do not want to wait for the OTA Eris update you can download it directly from the VZW link listed below. Make sure you read the directions in its entirety.

    Manual Update Instructions from your PC: DROID Eris by HTC

  9. #69
    quiet1 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NY
    PIN
    up
    Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    Stock 5.0.0.320
    Posts
    330
    Liked
    0 times
    For me, the one thing I wish they could change is the copy feature. Either i suck at it or it's really bad on the os lol. O and trying to copy a txt someone else sent... forget about it... no luck
    A hybrid junkie...due to the one and only... crackman!!

  10. #70
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by quiet1 View Post
    For me, the one thing I wish they could change is the copy feature. Either i suck at it or it's really bad on the os lol. O and trying to copy a txt someone else sent... forget about it... no luck
    That is correct. Copy and paste functionality is quite limited. But if that's the major concern, I would say the phone is doing pretty good

  11. #71
    quiet1 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NY
    PIN
    up
    Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    Stock 5.0.0.320
    Posts
    330
    Liked
    0 times
    that is true...o one other thing i remember, anyone know if the phone can do Notify when receiving a txt while on call?! atleast w/ the storm it used to make a beep noise, i can't figure out how to get the phone to make any noise while i'm on a call and i receive a txt. It's gotten me in trouble a few times lol.
    A hybrid junkie...due to the one and only... crackman!!

  12. #72
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by quiet1 View Post
    that is true...o one other thing i remember, anyone know if the phone can do Notify when receiving a txt while on call?! atleast w/ the storm it used to make a beep noise, i can't figure out how to get the phone to make any noise while i'm on a call and i receive a txt. It's gotten me in trouble a few times lol.
    Are you connected to wifi when this happens?

  13. #73
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    I use Handcent sms and there is an option for notify while on call. Haven't checked the stock one.

    Quote Originally Posted by quiet1 View Post
    that is true...o one other thing i remember, anyone know if the phone can do Notify when receiving a txt while on call?! atleast w/ the storm it used to make a beep noise, i can't figure out how to get the phone to make any noise while i'm on a call and i receive a txt. It's gotten me in trouble a few times lol.
    Posted via mobile device

  14. #74
    quiet1 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NY
    PIN
    up
    Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    Stock 5.0.0.320
    Posts
    330
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    Are you connected to wifi when this happens?
    nope, verizon network.

    Olta i've heard about that, never tried it. Guess i'm gonan try it now
    A hybrid junkie...due to the one and only... crackman!!

  15. #75
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    It's very nice! Gives you quite a few appearance choices and all kinds of settings.

    Quote Originally Posted by quiet1 View Post
    nope, verizon network.

    Olta i've heard about that, never tried it. Guess i'm gonan try it now
    Posted via mobile device

  16. #76
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Just make sure when you install it, to turn off notifications for the native one to avoid doubling.
    Posted via mobile device

  17. #77
    xwera43's Avatar
    xwera43 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oregon via SoCal
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey!
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    v5.0.0.xxx
    Posts
    382
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted (9530 Storm)

    Quote Originally Posted by quiet1
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    Are you connected to wifi when this happens?
    nope, verizon network.

    Olta i've heard about that, never tried it. Guess i'm gonan try it now
    I'm with Olta on this. I think you'll be happy, it's a nice app.

    ~X

  18. #78
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Unless I am missing something here, CDMA does not allow for more than 1 data connection at a time. So the only way one could get a text message on the phone is if they were connected to wifi. This is a limitation of CDMA and one that GSM does not have.

  19. #79
    xwera43's Avatar
    xwera43 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oregon via SoCal
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey!
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    v5.0.0.xxx
    Posts
    382
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted (9530 Storm)

    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73
    Unless I am missing something here, CDMA does not allow for more than 1 data connection at a time. So the only way one could get a text message on the phone is if they were connected to wifi. This is a limitation of CDMA and one that GSM does not have.
    Actually Josh, I've had many SMS's come through while on calls but not e-mails nor MMS's with Verizon using BlackBerries, WinMo & the MotoDroid.

    ~X

  20. #80
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Liked
    5 times
    Right x. You can receive SMS while on a call on CDma. You actually can't receive them over wifi.
    Posted via mobile device

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •