Storm 2 "Proximity Sensor"?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Storm 2 "Proximity Sensor"?

  1. #1
    Pain Producer's Avatar
    Pain Producer is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    PIN
    T OF GUINN
    Device
    9550 Storm 2 Verizon
    OS
    5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK)
    Posts
    940
    Liked
    0 times

    Storm 2 "Proximity Sensor"?

    Hello Fellow Stormers,

    I was a Storm 1 fan & have had the Storm 2 since launch date. I am wondering, I cannot seem to get my Proximity Sensor to work. My understanding is that when on a call, or after it has ended, I can pull it away from my face and the screen should come back on. Is that correct?

    I have my screen set to turn off or down at 10 seconds (I like long battery life).

    Do I need to set this differently?

    Is there a setting on the phone I have missed?

    I took my first Storm 2 back because the phone screen would lock on a call. My 2nd one seems to be perfect, except the proximity sensor. Any help is greatly appreciated.


    UPDATE:
    Verizon Storm 2, Until 4/29 went to "INCREDIBLE"
    Verizon Tour (Wife's)
    OS: 9550--5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK w/all the fixes)
    OS: 9630--5.0.0.643


  2. #2
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain Producer View Post
    Hello Fellow Stormers,

    I was a Storm 1 fan & have had the Storm 2 since launch date. I am wondering, I cannot seem to get my Proximity Sensor to work. My understanding is that when on a call, or after it has ended, I can pull it away from my face and the screen should come back on. Is that correct?

    I have my screen set to turn off or down at 10 seconds (I like long battery life).

    Do I need to set this differently?

    Is there a setting on the phone I have missed?

    I took my first Storm 2 back because the phone screen would lock on a call. My 2nd one seems to be perfect, except the proximity sensor. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    you might try setting that 10sec delay a lil longer and see what happens.. I have a pouch that sleeps my phone and keep it in there 95% of the time. I left my brightness up at the default and 60 sec time out. with heavy use and about 40 min of iheartradio a day i have to give my phone maybe a 20 min charge besides the overnite full charge.

  3. #3
    Pain Producer's Avatar
    Pain Producer is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    PIN
    T OF GUINN
    Device
    9550 Storm 2 Verizon
    OS
    5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK)
    Posts
    940
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok. thank you jnespa
    UPDATE:
    Verizon Storm 2, Until 4/29 went to "INCREDIBLE"
    Verizon Tour (Wife's)
    OS: 9550--5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK w/all the fixes)
    OS: 9630--5.0.0.643

  4. #4
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain Producer View Post
    Ok. thank you jnespa
    dont thank me just dont hurt me :bigeyes: :laugh2:

  5. #5
    MePascal's Avatar
    MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Volunteer State
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Posts
    1,977
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm with Neppers on this Pain...I've got my Backlight Timeout set to 30 seconds.
    I have not had any issues with battery life and my Prox sensor seems to be spot on when it comes to sensing that my profile isn't touching the device...

  6. #6
    Pain Producer's Avatar
    Pain Producer is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    PIN
    T OF GUINN
    Device
    9550 Storm 2 Verizon
    OS
    5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK)
    Posts
    940
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MePascal View Post
    I'm with Neppers on this Pain...I've got my Backlight Timeout set to 30 seconds.
    I have not had any issues with battery life and my Prox sensor seems to be spot on when it comes to sensing that my profile isn't touching the device...
    Will do. Do you think I need to turn on "Automatically Dim Backlight"?


    Would that have any effect on the Proximity Sensor? I cannot seem to get my screen to come back on when i move it away from my face. I feel like a newb on this.

    BTW...No pain will be caused to jnespa
    UPDATE:
    Verizon Storm 2, Until 4/29 went to "INCREDIBLE"
    Verizon Tour (Wife's)
    OS: 9550--5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK w/all the fixes)
    OS: 9630--5.0.0.643

  7. #7
    MePascal's Avatar
    MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Volunteer State
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Posts
    1,977
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain Producer View Post
    Will do. Do you think I need to turn on "Automatically Dim Backlight"?
    I have mine set to "Off"

  8. #8
    Pain Producer's Avatar
    Pain Producer is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    PIN
    T OF GUINN
    Device
    9550 Storm 2 Verizon
    OS
    5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK)
    Posts
    940
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MePascal View Post
    I have mine set to "Off"
    Gotcha. Same here.


    So MePascal, when you are on a call and the screen dims lets say through a 2 minute call. When you remove it from your face, the screen comes back on?

    I am still trying to get mine to do that. The screen stay dark. The buttons on the bottom of the all glass screen are still lit, but no screen
    UPDATE:
    Verizon Storm 2, Until 4/29 went to "INCREDIBLE"
    Verizon Tour (Wife's)
    OS: 9550--5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK w/all the fixes)
    OS: 9630--5.0.0.643

  9. #9
    Pain Producer's Avatar
    Pain Producer is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    PIN
    T OF GUINN
    Device
    9550 Storm 2 Verizon
    OS
    5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK)
    Posts
    940
    Liked
    0 times
    From Crackberry.com,

    "Face Detection feature! - Last, but certainly not least, the BlackBerry Storm2 features a proximity sensor that powers down the display when the phone is next to your ear on a call. Earlier hardware/software versions we have seen of the Storm2 never possessed this feature, but this review unit certainly does. Simply start talking with the BlackBerry Storm2 against your ear and the screen powers down - no more ear typing! As soon as you pull the phone away from your ear the screen powers on and you can enable calling features (mute, speakerphone, etc.). Finally!"


    Mine does not do this. I wonder if I have a bad unit?
    UPDATE:
    Verizon Storm 2, Until 4/29 went to "INCREDIBLE"
    Verizon Tour (Wife's)
    OS: 9550--5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK w/all the fixes)
    OS: 9630--5.0.0.643

  10. #10
    Pain Producer's Avatar
    Pain Producer is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    PIN
    T OF GUINN
    Device
    9550 Storm 2 Verizon
    OS
    5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK)
    Posts
    940
    Liked
    0 times
    You guys are correct. I set my screen to dim to a longer time and now it turns on and off.


    Thank you
    UPDATE:
    Verizon Storm 2, Until 4/29 went to "INCREDIBLE"
    Verizon Tour (Wife's)
    OS: 9550--5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK w/all the fixes)
    OS: 9630--5.0.0.643

  11. #11
    MePascal's Avatar
    MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Volunteer State
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Posts
    1,977
    Liked
    1 times
    You are welcome Pain.
    Glad to see that your device is par for course.
    Posted via BlackBerry device

  12. #12
    Pain Producer's Avatar
    Pain Producer is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    PIN
    T OF GUINN
    Device
    9550 Storm 2 Verizon
    OS
    5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK)
    Posts
    940
    Liked
    0 times
    My Storm 2 is back to its old tricks. No Proximity detection. I give up.

    Do you think it could be a bad restore from my Storm 1?

    I do not want to take this thing back and switch out another handheld. That is a nightmare with all my emails and apps.
    UPDATE:
    Verizon Storm 2, Until 4/29 went to "INCREDIBLE"
    Verizon Tour (Wife's)
    OS: 9550--5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK w/all the fixes)
    OS: 9630--5.0.0.643

  13. #13
    MePascal's Avatar
    MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Volunteer State
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Posts
    1,977
    Liked
    1 times
    I did not do a restore Pain...
    I used the Device Switch through Desktop Manager...

  14. #14
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain Producer View Post
    My Storm 2 is back to its old tricks. No Proximity detection. I give up.

    Do you think it could be a bad restore from my Storm 1?

    I do not want to take this thing back and switch out another handheld. That is a nightmare with all my emails and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by MePascal View Post
    I did not do a restore Pain...
    I used the Device Switch through Desktop Manager...
    It could be.. I didnt even go as far as mepascal went.. I only restored what I needed from an advanced restore... ie contacts thats it and a couple of simple other things, sounds and profiles.. and then reset everything else like it was brand new.. I even redownloaded all of my apps fresh.

  15. #15
    jasonfyc's Avatar
    jasonfyc is offline BlackBerryOS Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Walla Walla Wa
    PIN
    ned her ag
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    8959765.655we80.754.
    Posts
    1,290
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    It could be.. I didnt even go as far as mepascal went.. I only restored what I needed from an advanced restore... ie contacts thats it and a couple of simple other things, sounds and profiles.. and then reset everything else like it was brand new.. I even redownloaded all of my apps fresh.
    Nepperz did the best choice... If painproducer and MeNeep still have settings for apps lingering that didn't work... That will corrupt your OS!
    Posted via BlackBerry device

  16. #16
    Kerr is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Device
    9520
    OS
    5.0.0.306
    Posts
    18
    Liked
    0 times

    Proximity Sensor

    I have found that the proximity sensor works when you are on a call, but it depends how you hold the phone.

    To test, if you make a call for example to voicemail and then gently place your finger across the top third of the screen (without pressing down) for a second or or more, the screen will turn off. If you then lift your finger the screen will come back on.
    So I guess when you are on a call you must make sure the phone is placed so that part of your face will rest against part of the top third of the screen.

  17. #17
    Pain Producer's Avatar
    Pain Producer is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    PIN
    T OF GUINN
    Device
    9550 Storm 2 Verizon
    OS
    5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK)
    Posts
    940
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
    I have found that the proximity sensor works when you are on a call, but it depends how you hold the phone.

    To test, if you make a call for example to voicemail and then gently place your finger across the top third of the screen (without pressing down) for a second or or more, the screen will turn off. If you then lift your finger the screen will come back on.
    So I guess when you are on a call you must make sure the phone is placed so that part of your face will rest against part of the top third of the screen.
    Gotcha. Thank you Kerr
    UPDATE:
    Verizon Storm 2, Until 4/29 went to "INCREDIBLE"
    Verizon Tour (Wife's)
    OS: 9550--5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK w/all the fixes)
    OS: 9630--5.0.0.643

  18. #18
    Pain Producer's Avatar
    Pain Producer is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    PIN
    T OF GUINN
    Device
    9550 Storm 2 Verizon
    OS
    5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK)
    Posts
    940
    Liked
    0 times
    I am still having the original issue of the screen not coming back on after I remove it from my face. This is my second Storm 2 and I do not want to replace it. Any thoughts?
    UPDATE:
    Verizon Storm 2, Until 4/29 went to "INCREDIBLE"
    Verizon Tour (Wife's)
    OS: 9550--5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK w/all the fixes)
    OS: 9630--5.0.0.643

  19. #19
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain Producer View Post
    I am still having the original issue of the screen not coming back on after I remove it from my face. This is my second Storm 2 and I do not want to replace it. Any thoughts?
    I dont know, that stinks... I have had no problems with it.. I almose want to tell you to do a security wipe and dont load any thing back cept contacts... do you have any screen lock programs on the phone at all?

  20. #20
    Pain Producer's Avatar
    Pain Producer is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    PIN
    T OF GUINN
    Device
    9550 Storm 2 Verizon
    OS
    5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK)
    Posts
    940
    Liked
    0 times
    I do. I have "Storm slider" but I don't turn it on while on a call. I also use "Stop Tilt". Could that affect it?
    UPDATE:
    Verizon Storm 2, Until 4/29 went to "INCREDIBLE"
    Verizon Tour (Wife's)
    OS: 9550--5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK w/all the fixes)
    OS: 9630--5.0.0.643

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •