Help with 5.0 upgrade please! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Help with 5.0 upgrade please!

  1. #21
    apuntsel's Avatar
    apuntsel is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Device
    HTC Thunderbolt
    OS
    Android
    Posts
    262
    Liked
    2 times
    I used DM on my iBook to do the install and all went fine, then used my work notebook (PC) to activate BES ... Wonder how many other people had issues doing the install from a Mac?


    Theme: bDroidX · Apps: Supra eKey, SmrtGuard, MeterBerry, Google Maps, Berry Weather, CaptureIt, BBFileScout, Visual VoiceMail, Mortgage Payment Calculator, BubbleBurst, StormSlots, Hangman


  2. #22
    AADC's Avatar
    AADC is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    5.0
    Posts
    15
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by apuntsel View Post
    I used DM on my iBook to do the install and all went fine, then used my work notebook (PC) to activate BES ... Wonder how many other people had issues doing the install from a Mac?
    By my count... 2.
    But that's all I've see on here. A friend at work used his 10.5.8 and 5.0 loaded.

    I wonder if it's a Snow Leopard thing. Only speculation. It's odd though that the exact same file is missing.
    I might be on to something thought. Working through going back to a previous OS to run some tests.
    I've gotta get myself a spare BB to beat up on, it's too stressful experimenting on my primary device.
    Last edited by AADC; 10-27-2009 at 05:19 PM.

  3. #23
    Dave12308's Avatar
    Dave12308 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Schenectady, NY
    Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Posts
    375
    Liked
    0 times
    It might take me a few days, as I am dealing with a death in the family right now; but I will mess around on my Hackintosh and see what I can come up with. I almost suspect that it IS a Snow Leopard issue, and could be something as simple as things getting placed in the wrong folders. I believe the error message itself means the file failed its built-in checksum verification.

    I will post again if I come up with anything.

  4. #24
    apuntsel's Avatar
    apuntsel is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Device
    HTC Thunderbolt
    OS
    Android
    Posts
    262
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AADC View Post
    By my count... 2.
    But that's all I've see on here. A friend at work used his 10.5.8 and 5.0 loaded.

    I wonder if it's a Snow Leopard thing. Only speculation. It's odd though that the exact same file is missing.
    I might be on to something thought. Working through going back to a previous OS to run some tests.
    I've gotta get myself a spare BB to beat up on, it's too stressful experimenting on my primary device.
    10.5.8 here as well
    Theme: bDroidX · Apps: Supra eKey, SmrtGuard, MeterBerry, Google Maps, Berry Weather, CaptureIt, BBFileScout, Visual VoiceMail, Mortgage Payment Calculator, BubbleBurst, StormSlots, Hangman

  5. #25
    AADC's Avatar
    AADC is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    5.0
    Posts
    15
    Liked
    1 times

    Failed to validate OS image file error 9530 Storm Update

    Solution Found:
    The error is caused by an incomplete download of OS 5.0.

    Missing files from:
    /Users/<<Insert User Name Here>>/Library/Application Support/BlackBerryDesktop/Device Applications/feb2ff4c400c5cfe5379d1e45609319f1996c020/rim0x04001404.sfi

    I discovered that the feb2ff4c400c5cfe5379d1e45609319f1996c020 folder is the 5.0 build folder containing all the files required to update.

    The above error was caused by an incomplete download of the OS build folder (1 file was missing, as I expected).

    Resolution for the Mac:
    1.) Open Finder.
    2.) Select your main user folder (Users/<<insert user name here>>).
    3.) Select Libraries folder.
    4.) Select Application Support folder.
    5.) Select BlackBerryDesktop folder.
    6.) Select Device Applications folder.
    7.) Select "feb2ff4c400c5cfe5379d1e45609319f1996c020" folder.
    8.) Remove "feb2ff4c400c5cfe5379d1e45609319f1996c020" folder (move to Trash).
    9.) Reload BBDM & select Install OS 5.0
    10.) Allow process to run and reboot the device.

    OS 5.0 should install without a hitch. If it doesn't there was an interruption in the download and some files were missed.

    Ah. I can sleep at night again.
    -Bobby:1244:
    Last edited by cruznthru; 10-27-2009 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Titled for search engine

  6. #26
    apuntsel's Avatar
    apuntsel is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Device
    HTC Thunderbolt
    OS
    Android
    Posts
    262
    Liked
    2 times
    Great find
    Theme: bDroidX · Apps: Supra eKey, SmrtGuard, MeterBerry, Google Maps, Berry Weather, CaptureIt, BBFileScout, Visual VoiceMail, Mortgage Payment Calculator, BubbleBurst, StormSlots, Hangman

  7. #27
    TommyGrubz's Avatar
    TommyGrubz is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    PIN
    stripes on
    Device
    8330 / 9530 / M
    OS
    VZW official Curve O
    Posts
    501
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AADC View Post
    Solution Found:
    The error is caused by an incomplete download of OS 5.0.

    Missing files from:
    /Users/<<Insert User Name Here>>/Library/Application Support/BlackBerryDesktop/Device Applications/feb2ff4c400c5cfe5379d1e45609319f1996c020/rim0x04001404.sfi

    I discovered that the feb2ff4c400c5cfe5379d1e45609319f1996c020 folder is the 5.0 build folder containing all the files required to update.

    The above error was caused by an incomplete download of the OS build folder (1 file was missing, as I expected).

    Resolution for the Mac:
    1.) Open Finder.
    2.) Select your main user folder (Users/<<insert user name here>>).
    3.) Select Libraries folder.
    4.) Select Application Support folder.
    5.) Select BlackBerryDesktop folder.
    6.) Select Device Applications folder.
    7.) Select "feb2ff4c400c5cfe5379d1e45609319f1996c020" folder.
    8.) Remove "feb2ff4c400c5cfe5379d1e45609319f1996c020" folder (move to Trash).
    9.) Reload BBDM & select Install OS 5.0
    10.) Allow process to run and reboot the device.

    OS 5.0 should install without a hitch. If it doesn't there was an interruption in the download and some files were missed.

    Ah. I can sleep at night again.
    -Bobby:1244:
    I don't quite understand... you removed the Radio from the OS to get it to load? (rim0x04001404.sfi is the radio I thought)

    What platform does your phone show in Options/about ? Should show 4.2.0.128 for v5.0.0.328

    Thanks for keeping us updated too!

  8. #28
    pkasin is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Device
    9550
    OS
    OS 5.0.0.428
    Posts
    37
    Liked
    0 times
    It's still largely a PC centric world out there. I find BB DM for Mac is not as of yet a great program, and is still buggy. Of' course it will get better, but I have many issues with it (including Address Book syncing).

    The ONLY reason I still have Windows loaded on my Mac is for Blackberry loading. It is still the easiest / best way to upgrade and streamline your Blackberry. For example, even reducing the OS size by removing unnecessary programs is impossible (to the best of my knowledge) at this point with a Mac, but easy with a PC.

    Yes, 5.0 is a great improvement, but there are many great modifications that are still not "MAC-able" yet. I am sure that in time, things will improve, but at the moment, we're still at a great disadvantage unless we run either a Bootcamp or VM version of Windows.

    I think that until things improve, it's better/easy/faster for you to borrow a friend's PC for an hour here and there.

  9. #29
    AADC's Avatar
    AADC is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    5.0
    Posts
    15
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyGrubz View Post
    I don't quite understand... you removed the Radio from the OS to get it to load? (rim0x04001404.sfi is the radio I thought)

    What platform does your phone show in Options/about ? Should show 4.2.0.128 for v5.0.0.328

    Thanks for keeping us updated too!
    Sorry... let me clear up my instructions.
    rim0x04001404.sfi was the missing file.
    BBDM would find the OS 5.0 upload folder named feb2ff4c400c5cfe5379d1e45609319f1996c020, and "assume" all the files were in it... so it wouldn't re-download the missing rim0x04001404.sfi.
    The solution was: start from scratch.
    By removing the feb2ff4c400c5cfe5379d1e45609319f1996c020 folder from the place BBDM looks for it all together, it forced BBDM to re-download the entire feb2ff4c400c5cfe5379d1e45609319f1996c020 folder with ALL of the OS 5.0 upload files.

    The OS is now 5.0.328 on the device.
    If more folks need this in a step by step, I'll be happy to put together some screen shots of where to find it.

    -B
    Last edited by AADC; 10-27-2009 at 10:30 PM.

  10. #30
    jmf5017 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Device
    BlackBerry Storm2
    OS
    5.0.0.320
    Posts
    12
    Liked
    0 times
    Good job and thanks so much for all the help trying to solve this problem. I have to admit, I'm not too concerned anymore because I just switched out to the Storm2! Haha

  11. #31
    AADC's Avatar
    AADC is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    5.0
    Posts
    15
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf5017 View Post
    Good job and thanks so much for all the help trying to solve this problem. I have to admit, I'm not too concerned anymore because I just switched out to the Storm2! Haha
    Keep us posted if updating BB OS's on Storm2 is a much fun as the most recent endeavor. I'll try to apply my Mac skills where I can help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •