I fancy a try at a Hybrid..
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: I fancy a try at a Hybrid..

  1. #1
    ColinAlbright's Avatar
    ColinAlbright is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    U.K.
    Device
    Storm 9500
    OS
    5.0.0.425
    Posts
    45
    Liked
    0 times

    Question I fancy a try at a Hybrid..

    Like all of you, I'm eagerly waiting for the leak of .191 for the 9500..., but after reading some of the problems it has with the US model, i.e. the camera doesn't work.., I'm not sure I can see the point just yet.., much as I would love to...

    So, I'm going to give a hybrid a go, and the consensus seems to suggest that Mr Crackman is the one to go for...

    Again, I'm lost in the menu system..., I was looking under "Blackberry Storm" and I can see a "hybrid" section, and it lists the various versions that are available by the people who have made them up.., but when I look in Crackman it seems to fall in a hole ..., the latest one isn't there..., can some one point me to the link to his latest offering...?, or even what hybrid is generally considered to be the best yet...?

    Cheers...




  2. #2
    Morganizer's Avatar
    Morganizer is offline Blackberry Whore
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Posts
    756
    Liked
    0 times
    You can't go wrong with BBCrackman, Lyricidal, or OneOfAKindDPC hybrids. I have personally tried all of their work. I suggest testing a few different ones to see what works best for you. Most people end up with a 'favorite' hybrid builder pretty quickly

    PS - If you had a Bold I would also have suggested Xonz he does great work

  3. #3
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganizer View Post
    You can't go wrong with BBCrackman, Lyricidal, or OneOfAKindDPC hybrids. I have personally tried all of their work. I suggest testing a few different ones to see what works best for you. Most people end up with a 'favorite' hybrid builder pretty quickly

    PS - If you had a Bold I would also have suggested Xonz he does great work
    Morganizer is 100% spot on (as always) the only issue I will bring up is the following. BBCrackman hasn't made a 9500 in a long time, I know he is working on new one but I have not heard a progress on that.

    In the forums menu click 9500, then you should see a sub forum for the 9500 hybrid builders. Another good one is Gabriel for the 9500

  4. #4
    654321ROD's Avatar
    654321ROD is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Africa
    PIN
    4U2C
    Device
    Torch 9800
    OS
    6.0.0.246
    Posts
    171
    Liked
    0 times

    Hybrids on 9500

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Morganizer is 100% spot on (as always) the only issue I will bring up is the following. BBCrackman hasn't made a 9500 in a long time, I know he is working on new one but I have not heard a progress on that.

    In the forums menu click 9500, then you should see a sub forum for the 9500 hybrid builders. Another good one is Gabriel for the 9500
    Lyricidal is the way to go on a 9500 phone. No regrets using Lyric 6V6 and quite frankly not keen to look at anything else. You will not regret it!

  5. #5
    jinda is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow jinda On Twitter
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    CA, USA
    PIN
    20E38347
    Device
    9500
    OS
    5.0.0.484
    Posts
    51
    Liked
    0 times
    is installing a hybrid the same as installing the normal OS?

  6. #6
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jinda View Post
    is installing a hybrid the same as installing the normal OS?
    No it is a bit different. But each hybrid maker provides detailed instructions as to exactly how install their hybrid. And of course should have any questions, that is what these forums are all about.

  7. #7
    jinda is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow jinda On Twitter
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    CA, USA
    PIN
    20E38347
    Device
    9500
    OS
    5.0.0.484
    Posts
    51
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    No it is a bit different. But each hybrid maker provides detailed instructions as to exactly how install their hybrid. And of course should have any questions, that is what these forums are all about.
    thanks

    wow this is tempting me to try but im soooo afraid hehe.
    whats the worst that can happen to my phone? :17:

  8. #8
    ColinAlbright's Avatar
    ColinAlbright is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    U.K.
    Device
    Storm 9500
    OS
    5.0.0.425
    Posts
    45
    Liked
    0 times
    I've been having a play around with the hybrids, and to be honest there always seemed to be something that didn't quite work..

    I think for the mo I'm sticking with 4.7.0.167, seems fine for me... I don't use any themes and the only thrid party app I user is Easylock...

    As I've mentioned before, I can't see the point of going to v5.0.0.191, when and if we get it as the camera doesn't work... What we all need is a "good" build of 5 so we don't keep wasting our lives away... a 5.0.0.2xx build may be the way forward..., just pointless getting the .191 leak for the 9500 if we know it doesn't work...

    4.7.0.167 seems stable and works fine..., that's where my money is for the mo..

  9. #9
    Seanren78's Avatar
    Seanren78 is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow Seanren78 On Twitter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    PIN
    Ask Me
    Device
    9550
    OS
    Personalized Hybrid
    Posts
    2,179
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jinda View Post
    thanks

    wow this is tempting me to try but im soooo afraid hehe.
    whats the worst that can happen to my phone? :17:
    The worst thing that can happen to your phone is improve the efficiency as to which it works at If things did go array then you would have to wipe and reload your current OS. It's simple and I recommend you atleast trying!
    Driphter.com Co-Owner

  10. #10
    jinda is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow jinda On Twitter
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    CA, USA
    PIN
    20E38347
    Device
    9500
    OS
    5.0.0.484
    Posts
    51
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanren78 View Post
    The worst thing that can happen to your phone is improve the efficiency as to which it works at If things did go array then you would have to wipe and reload your current OS. It's simple and I recommend you atleast trying!
    i think im going to try it, im just trying to read the procedures. i am starting to watch lyric's video and maybe check bbc's too later on.

    OffT: can DM back up 3rd party apps as well?
    i backed up my phone and wipe it the other day but i lost all the 3rd party apps

    thanks again for the tips

  11. #11
    Seanren78's Avatar
    Seanren78 is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow Seanren78 On Twitter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    PIN
    Ask Me
    Device
    9550
    OS
    Personalized Hybrid
    Posts
    2,179
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jinda View Post
    i think im going to try it, im just trying to read the procedures. i am starting to watch lyric's video and maybe check bbc's too later on.

    OffT: can DM back up 3rd party apps as well?
    i backed up my phone and wipe it the other day but i lost all the 3rd party apps

    thanks again for the tips
    I would recommend BBSAK to back up all your 3rd party apps. I apologize for getting back to you late I am at work
    Driphter.com Co-Owner

  12. #12
    ColinAlbright's Avatar
    ColinAlbright is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    U.K.
    Device
    Storm 9500
    OS
    5.0.0.425
    Posts
    45
    Liked
    0 times
    Do you know if the camera works with this version...?

  13. #13
    jinda is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow jinda On Twitter
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    CA, USA
    PIN
    20E38347
    Device
    9500
    OS
    5.0.0.484
    Posts
    51
    Liked
    0 times
    i tried installing 6v8 2 days ago but im getting an error when loading app from the Shrink-A-OS. It will run for a while and will show some conflict.

    I ended up reverting back to my .167 OS. Then a new problem exists, i cant recover my backup fully. I have my old contacts but i cant find my data in password keeper and memopads. Its all shown in the backup files but im getting another error in restoring it.

    i think im only restoring it partially. anyone know whats the problem? I will try to install 6v8 again after work today and hopefully i will be successful

  14. #14
    sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jinda View Post
    i tried installing 6v8 2 days ago but im getting an error when loading app from the Shrink-A-OS. It will run for a while and will show some conflict.

    I ended up reverting back to my .167 OS. Then a new problem exists, i cant recover my backup fully. I have my old contacts but i cant find my data in password keeper and memopads. Its all shown in the backup files but im getting another error in restoring it.

    i think im only restoring it partially. anyone know whats the problem? I will try to install 6v8 again after work today and hopefully i will be successful
    have you tried restoring them individually using the advanced feature in back up and restore?

  15. #15
    jinda is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow jinda On Twitter
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    CA, USA
    PIN
    20E38347
    Device
    9500
    OS
    5.0.0.484
    Posts
    51
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkast View Post
    have you tried restoring them individually using the advanced feature in back up and restore?
    yeah nate i tried it but only after the first try failed and not restarting from the beginning. so i already encountered an error and just tried one by one after reboot.

    maybe this time, i will try restoring them one by one after a fresh install of 151 and 6v8.

    thanks

  16. #16
    Seanren78's Avatar
    Seanren78 is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow Seanren78 On Twitter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    PIN
    Ask Me
    Device
    9550
    OS
    Personalized Hybrid
    Posts
    2,179
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jinda View Post
    i tried installing 6v8 2 days ago but im getting an error when loading app from the Shrink-A-OS. It will run for a while and will show some conflict.

    I ended up reverting back to my .167 OS. Then a new problem exists, i cant recover my backup fully. I have my old contacts but i cant find my data in password keeper and memopads. Its all shown in the backup files but im getting another error in restoring it.

    i think im only restoring it partially. anyone know whats the problem? I will try to install 6v8 again after work today and hopefully i will be successful
    BBSSAK would be a great way to save your applications. BBSAK puts your back up apps into an easy .axl file which can be loaded through your DM.
    Driphter.com Co-Owner

  17. #17
    sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jinda View Post
    yeah nate i tried it but only after the first try failed and not restarting from the beginning. so i already encountered an error and just tried one by one after reboot.

    maybe this time, i will try restoring them one by one after a fresh install of 151 and 6v8.

    thanks
    What sort of error?

  18. #18
    jinda is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow jinda On Twitter
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    CA, USA
    PIN
    20E38347
    Device
    9500
    OS
    5.0.0.484
    Posts
    51
    Liked
    0 times
    its not specific, it just popped out in DM "Error Occurred".
    It actually restored some of the backup but not everything.

    Now i tried .173 and tried restoring my backup again. I still get the same error but at least it restored the files that i needed most: contacts, password kpr data, memopad files.

    But it didnt restore my old emails and sms in the inbox and all the saved messages.
    This is anyway ok with me. I backed up my current setup now. Maybe there are some corrupt files in my old backup file.

    havent tried the hybrid that i wana try 'til now though.

  19. #19
    sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jinda View Post
    its not specific, it just popped out in DM "Error Occurred".
    It actually restored some of the backup but not everything.

    Now i tried .173 and tried restoring my backup again. I still get the same error but at least it restored the files that i needed most: contacts, password kpr data, memopad files.

    But it didnt restore my old emails and sms in the inbox and all the saved messages.
    This is anyway ok with me. I backed up my current setup now. Maybe there are some corrupt files in my old backup file.

    havent tried the hybrid that i wana try 'til now though.
    Sounds like one of the backed up databases is corrupt. When you are restoring the backup, pay close attention to which database is being restored when the error occurs. This should clue you into which database the problem is with. If you have an older back up, you could try selectively restoring the database from that. You may also have more than one database that is corrupt.

  20. #20
    jinda is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow jinda On Twitter
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    CA, USA
    PIN
    20E38347
    Device
    9500
    OS
    5.0.0.484
    Posts
    51
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkast View Post
    Sounds like one of the backed up databases is corrupt. When you are restoring the backup, pay close attention to which database is being restored when the error occurs. This should clue you into which database the problem is with. If you have an older back up, you could try selectively restoring the database from that. You may also have more than one database that is corrupt.
    the error occurred when it was restoring the messages part. maybe thats the reason why i didnt get my data in sms and mail inbox and the saved messages as well.

    i hope my new backup doesnt have corrupt files. thanks for the tip

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •