Problem downgrading from 5.0 to .151--Help
I decided to go back to 151 after trying out the 5.0. I wiped the phone with BBSAK got the reload software icon on the phone then used the apploader to install 151. I get the message "The Blackberry Desktop software does not have blackberry device software for the device that you have connected to the computer."
I have uninstalled and reinstalled all software, restarted my computer, pulled the battery on my storm. Nothing changes
I am able to load 148 through the DM 5.0
Am I missing something any help would be appreciated.
thanks in advance
Only thing I can think of is DM could be checking the internet for what the current official version is. Which would not be 151 therefore it would give you a message like that. You could try disconnecting from the internet to see if it makes a difference when you go to install.
Wirelessly posted (Stormy 4)
Ok you must delete 5.0 from your pc. Then wipe your phone and install the OS you want.
Originally Posted by Sharkman
Maybe try just reloading .148 then after it's done attempt to install .151.
Just an idea :-)
That's what I did Kris. Once on 5.0 it didn't like going to .151 so I went back to 148 via DM then back up to BBC's 7.1.4-151
After deleting .140 in the add/remove section on your computer....be sure check it is fully deleted off your computer. Go to... cprogram files>common files>Research in Motion> Shared> Loader Files. Make sure this folder is empty.
Last edited by Seanren78; 07-27-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Originally Posted by Seanren78
Sean is correct....yesterday during my 3 hours of dinking around I did downgrade from 5.0 to 151. But this is not possible if you are using DM you must use the apploader program or no dice.
I think you should give JL Commander a try, I have never been let down by this when wiping my phone...I will look for a link for you.
I always wipe thrice for good luck before reloading software.
Last edited by P3Designs; 07-27-2009 at 09:47 PM.
I use apploader for all my updates.
Thank all for your help and suggestions, I tried them all only thing I was able to accomplish was to get 148 on my phone apploader would not upgrade to 151. I'm through for the night. Going to try tomorrow on another computer just in case I am missing some file that I didn't remove.
Good Night and Thanks again.
i just did this the other day.........like stated delete all of 5.0 off your computer and then load up 151 then whatever hybrid on top and apploader witll take care of everything
Originally Posted by watkins
Just wanted to let everyone know how I made out with my problem. I loaded 151 on a computer that I have never used for my BB, wiped my phone with BBSAK and using apploader the program recognized the phone and loaded the software.
I used unistall on my first computer to remove all 5.0 software but I guess I am missing something possibly still left in the registery? I have used a program to clean the registery and it found several orphan files.
Hope that fixed that, not going to mess with it now!
Thanks again for all that helped
Great to hear you got everything working.
Originally Posted by Sharkman
glad you got it working, i'm doing this now ... 5.0 to 151
Uninstalled 5.0 from add/remove programs
Deleted the 5.0 folder from the shared folder
installed BBC hybrid
did a security wipe
wiped with JL_CMDER
opened the loader program
choose to downgrade and installing now
C'mon guys... We've been over this. JL_Cmder only erases the applications from your phone. In order to completely wipe the 5.0 filesystem (also known as the radio code) you need to use an app like Crack Utility to remove it. You'll also need to know the command for app loader in order to install the new file system. I'll make a tutorial in the morning for those who don't know how to do this.
Originally Posted by freebirds87
I have the problem now, can't make a complete wipe. pls. make a tutorial ASAP thanks.
BTW. I have used both BBSAK and JL cmder, it doesn't work.
Last edited by ancinca; 07-31-2009 at 08:10 AM.
what OS do you have installed. Now forget the DM for a minute. I did this already
Originally Posted by ancinca
151. I didn't use DM (5.0 installed in my computer), instead, use app. loader. Do you mean I have to delete DM?
Originally Posted by miami1683
Last edited by ancinca; 07-31-2009 at 08:31 AM.
No delete 5.0 completely....
Originally Posted by ancinca
even go into the prgram files and remove the folder. Install .151 go into your APP loaded and run it. It will ask you to downgrade or stay. Click downgrade....and it will run. The core componots are still there. Once the install is over restore your settings and apps. the you will be good to go
Ok so here is the program than you'll need to completely wipe a blackberry's file system...
CrackUtil - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
This is a link back to Crackberry. This is the thread with all of the instructions you'll need on how to use Crack Utility. The program is attached to the bottom of the thread.
This is a powerful program that will allow you to change one file at a time on your device, thus saving you from the pains of reinstalling an OS just to swap out one or 2 files.
Now... for removing the complete file system.
1) Once you have downloaded the Crack Utility and installed it to your PC (Windows Vista users must set Administrative Rights) connect your Blackberry.
2) Once the Blackberry is connected, you'll notice at the bottom it informs your of your current OS. Make sure it does this, if it doesn't then your device is not properly connected. (Make sure Mass Storage is on and than you have Administrator Privileges turned on)
3) You'll notice the 3 tabs at the top of the program. "General Settings -Safe" "File Manipulation - Intermediate" & "Clearing Settings - Advanced" PLEASE READ THESE WARNINGS!! When it says Advanced.... don't use this tab unless you know what you're doing!! (or reading my awesome tutorial!)
4) We're gonna use the Advanced tab. MAKE SURE YOU'VE RAN A BACKUP OF YOUR THIRD PARTY APPS AND DEVICE INFO.
5) Once under the Advanced tab click on "Wipe Device Applications". This does the same thing that JL_Cmder does. No big deal...
6) Once the device has rebooted and you get the 507 error, you'll want to go back under the advanced tab and click on "Wipe Device File System". This deletes the devices File System. What we all call the radio code.
7) Ok now every last remnant of 5.0 is gone, it's time to install 4.7 back. This can be tricky because Desktop Manager is not going to even recognize your phone. Neither is the App Loader at first. These next steps are very important to restoring your phone. So follow them carefully.
8) You need to install a whole OS. (NOT A HYBRID!!!) Doesn't matter if it's official or leaked it just needs to be a whole OS. .151 is fine... make sure any other OS's have been removed from your PC. (Control Panel style people)
9) This next set of instructions came from Reed McLay on Crackberry. I am just copying and pasting them for the users here.
Note: Windows 7 beta is not compatible with these instructions.
1. In order to restore the device, you need to have BlackBerry Desktop Manager installed. The original, as supplied on the BlackBerry CD is adaquite. Tip: If you choose to download the newest v4.3, you can save a lot of time by choosing custom install and disabling Roxio Media Manager. At start-up, it really slows things down until it has built up it index of media. Ref #2 links to BlackBerry's download site.
2. After it is installed, you need to install a BlackBerry OS file that is specific to your device. The original version, as supplied by the carrier, is the safe choice, but you can use any model specific version. This is not supplied on your BlackBerry CD, Ref: 3 links to BlackBerry's download pages.
3. Once the OS has been installed, you have to prepare it for the device.
Select Start / Computer and select the Drive C: Icon.
Open Program Files / Common Files / Research in Motion / AppLoader.
Navigate to the bottom and delete the file Vendor.XML file.
4. You are now ready to restore your device. Verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager is NOT running. Plug the device directly into the computer's USB port.
We are about to venture into the bowls of the beast. Windows is not suitable for this job, we are going to invoke the Command line interface with an option switch. This was the way all 'puters worked prior to Mcintosh and Windows.
Windows XP: Start / Run... / Command
Windows Vista: Start / Command (type this into 'start search')
You will see a black window similar to this. I have used UPPERCASE to highlight the typed commands.
CD PROGRAM FILES
CD COMMON FILES
CD RESEARCH IN MOTION
When you hit enter at the last command a forced rebuild will start. No data or setting will be saved, however, they can be recovered from a previous backup.
CD PROGRAM FILES (x86)
CD COMMON FILES
CD RESEARCH IN MOTION
5. Wait for it to finish.Thirty minutes is typical, do not interrupt it.
Once it has recovered, you can use Desktop Manager's Application Loader to customize it and restore from your backup files, if you have saved them previously.
Update: Members have reported success after numerous failures with the following technique:
Remove the Battery, then run the Loader program. It works.
All done. Congrats, you've done a FULL wipe of the device.
Thanks to: Reed McLay for the tutorial and Pete6 for Crack Utility
Also... to any mods that read this. I think it would be a great idea to have tools such as crack utility, jl_cmder, etc.. stuck to all of the OS discussion threads for easy access. Also any tutorials linked there might also help.
-Thanks and I hope this helps!
Tags for this Thread