How do you have that much memory available?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: How do you have that much memory available?

  1. #1
    ktklein's Avatar
    ktklein is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    So. Jersey / Philly region
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Lyricidal Hybrid .705 v2 (.591-based)
    Posts
    164
    Liked
    4 times

    How do you have that much memory available?

    Ok, I started discussing this in another thread earlier and figured I'd just start a new topic about this. Right now when I reboot the phone the best I can get is ~30MB. My OS Version is BBCM v7.1.3. I have shrunk the OS and removed the following:
    All Languages
    BB Messenger
    Flickr
    Google Talk
    ICQ MSN Msgr
    Yahoo Msgr
    Application Center
    Default Backgrounds
    Help Files
    TTY
    VCAST
    VodaPhone
    VZNav
    Additionally I removed all of the non-English files associated w/the upgrade to Docs-to-Go and all of the associated modules...

    Now, here is what I have loaded:
    BBFileScout 1.1.0.1
    Bloomberg 1.9.6.5
    Viigo (never leave it running - open to use then clear cache and close) 3.1.330
    BBAmped Blue Today Theme w/Red Bkgrd 1.0
    eReader 1.0.30
    Flight Path 1.1
    Google Maps 3.0.2
    Google Sync 0.5.15 (I guess this runs in the background...)
    GPS Tracker 1.8.2
    LogMaid 0.4 (I guess this runs in the background...)
    Facebook 1.6.0.21 (I don't leave it running actively but am logged in...)
    AIM 2.2.39 (Only open to use then close)
    Word Mole
    Brick Breaker
    Opera Mini 4.2
    Pattern Lock Lite 1.0.0.0
    Poynt 1.3.1.29 (Only open to use then close when finished)
    Qik 0.1.11
    QuickPull 2.1.1
    Slacker 2.0.2 (Only open to use then close when done)
    TalkLock 1.0.1 (I guess this runs in the background...)
    Tiltris 1.4.090206
    Trapster Mobile 3.1.0 (Only open to use then close when finished)
    Blackberry App World 1.0.0.30

    So if there are any recommendations or something glaring obviosu I can do to improve available memory, please let me know. Like I stated, on bootup from a battery pull I usually start right around 30MB and then over the course of 24hrs can drop as low as 12-13MB. I use QuickPull to do a reboot at 7AM each day. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

    P.S. Wait until my next post about GoogleSync and multiple calendars - can't wait to see if anyone has some sound advice there... I'll post that later...




  2. #2
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ktklein View Post
    Ok, I started discussing this in another thread earlier and figured I'd just start a new topic about this. Right now when I reboot the phone the best I can get is ~30MB. My OS Version is BBCM v7.1.3. I have shrunk the OS and removed the following:
    All Languages
    BB Messenger
    Flickr
    Google Talk
    ICQ MSN Msgr
    Yahoo Msgr
    Application Center
    Default Backgrounds
    Help Files
    TTY
    VCAST
    VodaPhone
    VZNav
    Additionally I removed all of the non-English files associated w/the upgrade to Docs-to-Go and all of the associated modules...

    Now, here is what I have loaded:
    BBFileScout 1.1.0.1
    Bloomberg 1.9.6.5
    Viigo (never leave it running - open to use then clear cache and close) 3.1.330
    BBAmped Blue Today Theme w/Red Bkgrd 1.0
    eReader 1.0.30
    Flight Path 1.1
    Google Maps 3.0.2
    Google Sync 0.5.15 (I guess this runs in the background...)
    GPS Tracker 1.8.2
    LogMaid 0.4 (I guess this runs in the background...)
    Facebook 1.6.0.21 (I don't leave it running actively but am logged in...)
    AIM 2.2.39 (Only open to use then close)
    Word Mole
    Brick Breaker
    Opera Mini 4.2
    Pattern Lock Lite 1.0.0.0
    Poynt 1.3.1.29 (Only open to use then close when finished)
    Qik 0.1.11
    QuickPull 2.1.1
    Slacker 2.0.2 (Only open to use then close when done)
    TalkLock 1.0.1 (I guess this runs in the background...)
    Tiltris 1.4.090206
    Trapster Mobile 3.1.0 (Only open to use then close when finished)
    Blackberry App World 1.0.0.30

    So if there are any recommendations or something glaring obviosu I can do to improve available memory, please let me know. Like I stated, on bootup from a battery pull I usually start right around 30MB and then over the course of 24hrs can drop as low as 12-13MB. I use QuickPull to do a reboot at 7AM each day. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

    P.S. Wait until my next post about GoogleSync and multiple calendars - can't wait to see if anyone has some sound advice there... I'll post that later...
    Well some of the apps you posted are known memory hogs. I have highlighted them. To see a noticeable increase you can either remove those or shrink your OS to improve memory.

  3. #3
    ktklein's Avatar
    ktklein is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    So. Jersey / Philly region
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Lyricidal Hybrid .705 v2 (.591-based)
    Posts
    164
    Liked
    4 times
    I guess I can remove App World and Log Maid since I rarely use them but I do use the others quite a bit. I'll have to start there I guess and see what happens... Thanks for the quick response.

  4. #4
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ktklein View Post
    I guess I can remove App World and Log Maid since I rarely use them but I do use the others quite a bit. I'll have to start there I guess and see what happens... Thanks for the quick response.
    Sure thing. Do you use VZNav? That is one of the worst memory offenders on your app list.

  5. #5
    ktklein's Avatar
    ktklein is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    So. Jersey / Philly region
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Lyricidal Hybrid .705 v2 (.591-based)
    Posts
    164
    Liked
    4 times
    The first group I listed were all Shrunk and removed from the Phone when I wiped and loaded BBCM v7.1.3.

  6. #6
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ktklein View Post
    The first group I listed were all Shrunk and removed from the Phone when I wiped and loaded BBCM v7.1.3.
    I see. But still the other apps are on your list will prevent you from getting much more available memory.

  7. #7
    ktklein's Avatar
    ktklein is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    So. Jersey / Philly region
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Lyricidal Hybrid .705 v2 (.591-based)
    Posts
    164
    Liked
    4 times
    I just used CrackUtil to remove BB App World and LogMaid and am awaiting my 4-5min reboot right now. Hopefully removing these will yield a bit more memory. I'm still perplexed how others state they have 20+ apps loaded and have memory in the 40-50MB range. How can that be?

  8. #8
    ktklein's Avatar
    ktklein is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    So. Jersey / Philly region
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Lyricidal Hybrid .705 v2 (.591-based)
    Posts
    164
    Liked
    4 times
    30.9MB after removing BB APP World and LogMaid.

  9. #9
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ktklein View Post
    I just used CrackUtil to remove BB App World and LogMaid and am awaiting my 4-5min reboot right now. Hopefully removing these will yield a bit more memory. I'm still perplexed how others state they have 20+ apps loaded and have memory in the 40-50MB range. How can that be?
    Because those people have either Shrunk their OS down so far down where only the necessary programs to boot are required. And as stated, certain apps are just worse on memory then others. I have a ton of apps (never shrink my OS) and I boot up with about 48mb. But I typically stay around 38-40mb once things stabilize.

  10. #10
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted

    Quote Originally Posted by ktklein
    30.9MB after removing BB APP World and LogMaid.
    Also go into your media and make sure that default wallpapers/ringtones/etc were actually removed. I have had in the past removed them, yet, they still showed up and used memory. Other than that, I believe your memory is accurate based on number of apps that you have installed. Some cause more of a leak and some less, and if you want to keep them all, I would recommend a daily reboot.

  11. #11
    ktklein's Avatar
    ktklein is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    So. Jersey / Philly region
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Lyricidal Hybrid .705 v2 (.591-based)
    Posts
    164
    Liked
    4 times
    Ok I just also deleted using BBFileScout all of the Sample Pictures, MMS Stuff, etc. and only kept ringtones & folder icons - that was from \System...

  12. #12
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted

    Quote Originally Posted by ktklein
    Ok I just also deleted using BBFileScout all of the Sample Pictures, MMS Stuff, etc. and only kept ringtones & folder icons - that was from \System...
    That's what I meant. Now do a battery pull and watch your memory grow

  13. #13
    ktklein's Avatar
    ktklein is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    So. Jersey / Philly region
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Lyricidal Hybrid .705 v2 (.591-based)
    Posts
    164
    Liked
    4 times
    Ok, did a battery pull and after rebooting I'm now seeing 30.9 still...

    And while I think I know the answer to this I'll ask any way for good measure: Does it have any bearing at all on available system memory how much data (pix, music, movies, etc.) I have on my 8GB card? I don't think it does but just had to ask...

    After clearing the event log I got it up to 31.0MB...

  14. #14
    ktklein's Avatar
    ktklein is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    So. Jersey / Philly region
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Lyricidal Hybrid .705 v2 (.591-based)
    Posts
    164
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    Because those people have either Shrunk their OS down so far down where only the necessary programs to boot are required. And as stated, certain apps are just worse on memory then others. I have a ton of apps (never shrink my OS) and I boot up with about 48mb. But I typically stay around 38-40mb once things stabilize.
    So what more can I do to get a bootup closer to 48mb like you do?

  15. #15
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ktklein View Post
    So what more can I do to get a bootup closer to 48mb like you do?
    You would have to remove some of the programs you like using. But here is the thing, memory is a major misnomer that people pay way to much attention to. As long as your phone is running smooth I really wouldn't worry about. If you start seeing you phone lag and a lot spinning clocks that's another but typically that only happens when you get down to 5mb or less.

  16. #16
    ktklein's Avatar
    ktklein is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    So. Jersey / Philly region
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Lyricidal Hybrid .705 v2 (.591-based)
    Posts
    164
    Liked
    4 times
    I do see the spinning clock here and there but not all of the time. I tried removing the Zen Theme and that backfired in a big way, but I was able to get my phone back up and running quickly - I guess if I removed Docs2Go I'd reclaim quite a bit but for the time being I guess I've done all I can unless I decide to remove more apps. Thanks for all of the quick responses!

  17. #17
    ktklein's Avatar
    ktklein is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    So. Jersey / Philly region
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Lyricidal Hybrid .705 v2 (.591-based)
    Posts
    164
    Liked
    4 times
    I think I'm going to also shorten the amount of active items GoogleSync keeps on my calendar and see about purging some older emails as well. I have to believe those may have some positive impact...

  18. #18
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ktklein View Post
    I do see the spinning clock here and there but not all of the time. I tried removing the Zen Theme and that backfired in a big way, but I was able to get my phone back up and running quickly - I guess if I removed Docs2Go I'd reclaim quite a bit but for the time being I guess I've done all I can unless I decide to remove more apps. Thanks for all of the quick responses!
    Yeah don't remove the Zen theme lol. Docs to go would give you a couple of MB's of memory.

  19. #19
    louwiid's Avatar
    louwiid is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Fortress of Gorillatude
    Device
    Palm Pre
    OS
    1.4
    Posts
    639
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted (Storm)

    If your phone works, just go with the flow. Otherwise, you may end up in a Memorynonymous meeting.

    The way I see it, the phone is meant for maximum use, not maximum free memory preservation.
    It's still real to me, dammit! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTNyKIGXiI
    Who's awesome? You're awesome!
    NOCJ http://nocj.urbanup.com/4256654
    Any fool knows a Dog needs a home, a shelter from Pigs on the Wing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPAYR5NReE8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Omz...layer_embedded

  20. #20
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by louwiid View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Storm)

    If your phone works, just go with the flow. Otherwise, you may end up in a Memorynonymous meeting.

    The way I see it, the phone is meant for maximum use, not maximum free memory preservation.
    Well said Dr. Lou!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •