Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 33 to 40 of 56

  1. #33
    mule0331's Avatar
    mule0331 is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow mule0331 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North East Ohio
    PIN
    3102D902
    Device
    9550 Storm
    OS
    .517
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Bold 9000 )

    Or even better what the hell is 3.5G then?
    The reason I'm asking is because in my country there is a carrier that offers 3G and one that offers 3.5, both GSM.
    And the CDMA is 2G.
    I'll rely on Cruz to confirm, but in my opinion for CDMA Rev A is 3.5, since it was the only released (phonewise) upgrade to EVDO, and HSPA is for GSM, since its a speed increase from HSPDA.



  2. #34
    cruznthru's Avatar
    cruznthru is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by mule0331 View Post
    I'll rely on Cruz to confirm, but in my opinion for CDMA Rev A is 3.5, since it was the only released (phonewise) upgrade to EVDO, and HSPA is for GSM, since its a speed increase from HSPDA.
    If your not already, you'll soon be seeing advertisments for 3.5G, 3.7G modems and routers. Looks to be more of a marketing ploy than an actual technology. 3.5G is a beefed up variant of 3G network technology capable of delivering downlink speeds of up to a theoretical maximum of 7.2Mbps. Typical speeds achieved are between 800Kbps and 3Mbps.
    Last edited by cruznthru; 06-22-2009 at 08:37 PM.

  3. #35
    mule0331's Avatar
    mule0331 is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow mule0331 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North East Ohio
    PIN
    3102D902
    Device
    9550 Storm
    OS
    .517
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by cruznthru View Post
    If your not already, you'll soon be seeing advertisments for 3.5G, 3.7G modems and routers. Looks to be more of a marketing ploy than and actual technology. 3.5G is a beefed up variant of 3G network technology capable of delivering downlink speeds of up to a theoretical maximum of 7.2Mbps. Typical speeds achieved are between 800Kbps and 3Mbps.
    Yeah I googled HSPDA and HSPA to find out what the diff was and the HSPA sites all mentioned that 7.2 mbps, and recommended it over HSPDA.



  4. #36
    cruznthru's Avatar
    cruznthru is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by mule0331 View Post
    Yeah I googled HSPDA and HSPA to find out what the diff was and the HSPA sites all mentioned that 7.2 mbps, and recommended it over HSPDA.
    Yes, It all looks good in theory, the stars and planets will have to be aligned just right to hit 7.2 on a downlink. Expect, on a good day 3.6mbps. I wouldnt rush out and buy a new device that boast of faster downloads. The lowered latency will be the most notable difference.

  5. #37
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Well said cruz thanks.



  6. #38
    Crickee's Avatar
    Crickee is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fort Defiance, VA
    PIN
    which one? I've lost count!
    Device
    9800
    OS
    Let me check!
    Posts
    275
    Wow, Cruz, thanks for the info! Mmmm, makes me want to stay month-to-month if indeed this may happen possibly late 2010. I was thinking maybe going with the Storm 2 or Tour, but don't want to be locked into a contract. As long as BBC keeps the hybrids rollin, I think I will wait it out to see what actually happens.

  7. #39
    cruznthru's Avatar
    cruznthru is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by Crickee View Post
    Wow, Cruz, thanks for the info! Mmmm, makes me want to stay month-to-month if indeed this may happen possibly late 2010. I was thinking maybe going with the Storm 2 or Tour, but don't want to be locked into a contract. As long as BBC keeps the hybrids rollin, I think I will wait it out to see what actually happens.
    No problem Crickee, you have the right idea, just hang tight and let the carriers deploy the 3.5, 3.7 and 4G. I wouldnt be suprised to see 3.75 3.8 being advertised before all is said and done.

  8. #40
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Quote Originally Posted by cruznthru View Post
    No problem Crickee, you have the right idea, just hang tight and let the carriers deploy the 3.5, 3.7 and 4G. I wouldnt be suprised to see 3.75 3.8 being advertised before all is said and done.
    Anyone else think we need a

    "ask Dr.Cruz" thread

    Well done Cruz :banana:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •