What is RIM's ability to discover my OS?
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: What is RIM's ability to discover my OS?

  1. #1
    Mikenbekah's Avatar
    Mikenbekah is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tucson
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    changes daily!
    Posts
    257
    Liked
    0 times

    What is RIM's ability to discover my OS?

    I'm experiencing some really way out email issues that are so freaky that Verizon had to farm me over to RIM for help. Well after 2hrs of trying to resolve it, one of my two issues has to be escalated to the 2nd tier of tech support. This is when I got a bit spooked thinking they may be able to find out I'm running leaked software on my device cuz I'm providing them access to my BIS accounts. Does anyone know for sure if they can find this out and if so will it ruin my ability to get support....and if so, should I reinstall .75 before I call them back to finish resolving this issue? Hope someone can help me out, thanks in advance.


    Running .148 v6 .132radio shrunk, Minimal Bold theme, QL 2.09, Slydial, GoogMaps, Meterberry, Visual Arts (Temporarily uninstalled), Shrinkit, Youmail, Trapster, Weatherbug, Tank Ace, ForceRadio, EDL Industries Launcher, Directv Launcher and BofA Launcher


  2. #2
    bbcrackman's Avatar
    bbcrackman is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    PIN
    yes
    Device
    9000/9530/9630/
    OS
    5.0.0.3xx
    Posts
    2,902
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikenbekah View Post
    I'm experiencing some really way out email issues that are so freaky that Verizon had to farm me over to RIM for help. Well after 2hrs of trying to resolve it, one of my two issues has to be escalated to the 2nd tier of tech support. This is when I got a bit spooked thinking they may be able to find out I'm running leaked software on my device cuz I'm providing them access to my BIS accounts. Does anyone know for sure if they can find this out and if so will it ruin my ability to get support....and if so, should I reinstall .75 before I call them back to finish resolving this issue? Hope someone can help me out, thanks in advance.
    a couple of things
    What issues are you having with your emails?

    No, they shouldnt be able to tell what OS you have on your device unless you go into a store or you tell them
    Last edited by bbcrackman; 05-19-2009 at 11:53 PM.

  3. #3
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikenbekah View Post
    I'm experiencing some really way out email issues that are so freaky that Verizon had to farm me over to RIM for help. Well after 2hrs of trying to resolve it, one of my two issues has to be escalated to the 2nd tier of tech support. This is when I got a bit spooked thinking they may be able to find out I'm running leaked software on my device cuz I'm providing them access to my BIS accounts. Does anyone know for sure if they can find this out and if so will it ruin my ability to get support....and if so, should I reinstall .75 before I call them back to finish resolving this issue? Hope someone can help me out, thanks in advance.
    Just by looking at your BIS account they cannot determine what OS you are running. If they happen to ask what OS you are running do say 4.7.0.75 as they will not support leaked OS's.

  4. #4
    Brett Wyman is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CT
    Device
    Tour
    OS
    .230
    Posts
    2,198
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    Just by looking at your BIS account they cannot determine what OS you are running. If they happen to ask what OS you are running do say 4.7.0.75 as they will not support leaked OS's.
    True. Then they will tell you that you have voided your warranty but even if you do have a leaked OS on your phone and need to return it. Wipe the phone and put the official back on. They wont know.

  5. #5
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    I heard that even if the phone is wiped, RIM can still check if they "really needed" to, but not sure....

  6. #6
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    I heard that even if the phone is wiped, RIM can still check if they "really needed" to, but not sure....
    Perhaps RIM is able to but do you think VZW could?

  7. #7
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    Perhaps RIM is able to but do you think VZW could?
    I think the smarter ones know how to find out what OS you are currently running, but most of the time not

  8. #8
    Mikenbekah's Avatar
    Mikenbekah is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tucson
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    changes daily!
    Posts
    257
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bbcrackman View Post
    a couple of things
    What issues are you having with your emails?

    No, they shouldnt be able to tell what OS you have on your device unless you go into a store or you tell them
    Sorry for lagging, had to switch to my phone. Okay first off thanks to everyone so far for the responses. As to your question BBC my email issues are extensive. It started when I tried to add a new email. My server URL wasn't being recognized by BIS. After extensive research with my IT guy from work we figured it out along with RIMs help. They got the address activated but in the process of me logging on to BIS from my phone and then from the PC I was starting to get service books sent to me every time from both login points. When I told RIM that each login on the pc required a pin and a meid number they got very interested. Then when I asked WHICH meid number, (hex) or (dec), he got irritated saying there shouldn't be two numbers? So he then wanted to escalate and I said I had been at it long enough and needed a break. And in a nutshell that's where I'm at now.
    Last edited by Mikenbekah; 05-20-2009 at 12:23 AM.
    Running .148 v6 .132radio shrunk, Minimal Bold theme, QL 2.09, Slydial, GoogMaps, Meterberry, Visual Arts (Temporarily uninstalled), Shrinkit, Youmail, Trapster, Weatherbug, Tank Ace, ForceRadio, EDL Industries Launcher, Directv Launcher and BofA Launcher

  9. #9
    Mikenbekah's Avatar
    Mikenbekah is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tucson
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    changes daily!
    Posts
    257
    Liked
    0 times
    Also it turned out that somewhere along the line someone at Verizon had inadvertently entered my IMEI number into my account settings instead of the MEID number and they think that's one reason I was having issues creating a new email. I've been with VZW for nearly two years, switched and replaced more devices than I can even remember and more times than not I reactivated them by myself, not bothering to notify VZW of the new PIN for emails. This was never a problem until recent when I attempted to create a new one.
    Running .148 v6 .132radio shrunk, Minimal Bold theme, QL 2.09, Slydial, GoogMaps, Meterberry, Visual Arts (Temporarily uninstalled), Shrinkit, Youmail, Trapster, Weatherbug, Tank Ace, ForceRadio, EDL Industries Launcher, Directv Launcher and BofA Launcher

  10. #10
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikenbekah View Post
    Also it turned out that somewhere along the line someone at Verizon had inadvertently entered my IMEI number into my account settings instead of the MEID number and they think that's one reason I was having issues creating a new email. I've been with VZW for nearly two years, switched and replaced more devices than I can even remember and more times than not I reactivated them by myself, not bothering to notify VZW of the new PIN for emails. This was never a problem until recent when I attempted to create a new one.
    Sorry, I don't know if you know this, but when you switch devices, you can just log into here: https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw and change PINs yourself....It's just so much easier than dealing with vzw.

  11. #11
    Mikenbekah's Avatar
    Mikenbekah is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tucson
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    changes daily!
    Posts
    257
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    Sorry, I don't know if you know this, but when you switch devices, you can just log into here: https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw and change PINs yourself....It's just so much easier than dealing with vzw.
    Yeah thanks. I did kinda know that before but sorta kinda always forgot to do it and the fact that it never made a difference until now is why over time I just forgot all together. But yeah, I do now! haha And thanks, seriously. I always appreciate a lil heads up.
    Running .148 v6 .132radio shrunk, Minimal Bold theme, QL 2.09, Slydial, GoogMaps, Meterberry, Visual Arts (Temporarily uninstalled), Shrinkit, Youmail, Trapster, Weatherbug, Tank Ace, ForceRadio, EDL Industries Launcher, Directv Launcher and BofA Launcher

  12. #12
    Mikenbekah's Avatar
    Mikenbekah is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tucson
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    changes daily!
    Posts
    257
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    Sorry, I don't know if you know this, but when you switch devices, you can just log into here: https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw and change PINs yourself....It's just so much easier than dealing with vzw.
    And on a footnote, that is the exact address where now, everytime I login to it, I'm repeatedly asked for my PIN & MEID #'s, and everytime I'm sent service books. Very strange and absolutely not the way it's supposed to be.
    Running .148 v6 .132radio shrunk, Minimal Bold theme, QL 2.09, Slydial, GoogMaps, Meterberry, Visual Arts (Temporarily uninstalled), Shrinkit, Youmail, Trapster, Weatherbug, Tank Ace, ForceRadio, EDL Industries Launcher, Directv Launcher and BofA Launcher

  13. #13
    Mikenbekah's Avatar
    Mikenbekah is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tucson
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    changes daily!
    Posts
    257
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay folks, I think I'm gonna log out for the night. Thanks again for the responses, I think i'm confident enough to call RIM back, just as soon as I've got 4-5 hours of my life to throw away, and a translator handy so I can understand exactly what they're sayin!
    Running .148 v6 .132radio shrunk, Minimal Bold theme, QL 2.09, Slydial, GoogMaps, Meterberry, Visual Arts (Temporarily uninstalled), Shrinkit, Youmail, Trapster, Weatherbug, Tank Ace, ForceRadio, EDL Industries Launcher, Directv Launcher and BofA Launcher

  14. #14
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikenbekah View Post
    And on a footnote, that is the exact address where now, everytime I login to it, I'm repeatedly asked for my PIN & MEID #'s, and everytime I'm sent service books. Very strange and absolutely not the way it's supposed to be.
    Can you delete all email addresses, and then re enter them one by one? or may be completely delete the account and then recreate it? or another idea, is if you have another bb, switch to it, and then switch back. I think those are your best bets....trust vzw won't probably know what to do...It takes me a few minutes to switch my device over...but the first time when I had to do it, I had the store do, and it took them like an hour!

  15. #15
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikenbekah View Post
    Okay folks, I think I'm gonna log out for the night. Thanks again for the responses, I think i'm confident enough to call RIM back, just as soon as I've got 4-5 hours of my life to throw away, and a translator handy so I can understand exactly what they're sayin!
    Ha ha...just send me your phone and I will fix it for ya...this way will be faster and cheaper

  16. #16
    BoNg420 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .132
    Posts
    16
    Liked
    0 times
    They will know all OS's you had installed and even know what you had for dinner last night...

  17. #17
    newberry's Avatar
    newberry is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    greater seattle area
    PIN
    just ask
    Device
    9530
    OS
    5.0.0.191
    Posts
    135
    Liked
    0 times
    just to let you know when i first got my storm from verizon the email service after updating the OS wouldnt work i had to go into the store and sounds like the same problem, but this was all due to the way they first setup the stupid thing, now much easier as they finally fixed the way they have it done on phone from what i can see. i was at the store for 1+ hours

    they where on the phone with RIM also, looks like they finally fixed there problems


    i swear a 10 year old knows more then most vzw tech people

  18. #18
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by newberry View Post
    just to let you know when i first got my storm from verizon the email service after updating the OS wouldnt work i had to go into the store and sounds like the same problem, but this was all due to the way they first setup the stupid thing, now much easier as they finally fixed the way they have it done on phone from what i can see. i was at the store for 1+ hours

    they where on the phone with RIM also, looks like they finally fixed there problems


    i swear a 10 year old knows more then most vzw tech people
    +1 to that!!! The smart ones are the ones that visit the forums and actually learn oh, and the ones running leaked OS

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •