Shrink A OS ???
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Shrink A OS ???

  1. #1
    HarlyFan's Avatar
    HarlyFan is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Powell, Ohio
    PIN
    It on the JACKASS!
    Device
    9530 Storm 9550 Storm2
    OS
    5.0.0.530 by Lyricidal
    Posts
    469
    Liked
    0 times

    Shrink A OS ???

    I want to apologize up front for what is probably a stupid question, can someone explain exactly what this program does? Does it save on memory when you choose not to install certain files? I loaded the .141 Hybrid yesterday and obviously it loaded all the files that I copied into the Java file. When would I have used the Shrink program and is it to late to do it now that I have already loaded the Hybrid to my phone? Is this similar to the CrackMem program that I have seen?
    Thanks for tolerating STUPID! at:




  2. #2
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HarlyFan View Post
    I want to apologize up front for what is probably a stupid question, can someone explain exactly what this program does? Does it save on memory when you choose not to install certain files? I loaded the .141 Hybrid yesterday and obviously it loaded all the files that I copied into the Java file. When would I have used the Shrink program and is it to late to do it now that I have already loaded the Hybrid to my phone? Is this similar to the CrackMem program that I have seen?
    Thanks for tolerating STUPID! at:
    Basically this programs gives you the options to remove files that come preloaded with an OS (like the preloaded themes, Docs to Go etc). There are many programs that some people never use so removing them will give you extra memory and maybe even a little pep to the performance of the phone. You can run this program at any time, before or after an install. It is similar to other programs out there but I find this to be the easiest and by far the best.

  3. #3
    Brett Wyman is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CT
    Device
    Tour
    OS
    .230
    Posts
    2,198
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HarlyFan View Post
    I want to apologize up front for what is probably a stupid question, can someone explain exactly what this program does? Does it save on memory when you choose not to install certain files? I loaded the .141 Hybrid yesterday and obviously it loaded all the files that I copied into the Java file. When would I have used the Shrink program and is it to late to do it now that I have already loaded the Hybrid to my phone? Is this similar to the CrackMem program that I have seen?
    Thanks for tolerating STUPID! at:
    No need to apologize. You will find that here, no one bashes or flames you for asking a question. Just because you do not know the answer does not mean you're stupid. This is how you learn things and what we aim for here

  4. #4
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackberryOS View Post
    No need to apologize. You will find that here, no one bashes or flames you for asking a question. Just because you do not know the answer does not mean you're stupid. This is how you learn things and what we aim for here
    Amen God!

  5. #5
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    Amen God!


    ^^^^Now that is funny^^^^

    On topic I have used that program 4 times now and every update just makes it that much better. I will posting on the blog about doing it with .75 later today or tomorrow.

  6. #6
    HarlyFan's Avatar
    HarlyFan is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Powell, Ohio
    PIN
    It on the JACKASS!
    Device
    9530 Storm 9550 Storm2
    OS
    5.0.0.530 by Lyricidal
    Posts
    469
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackberryOS View Post
    No need to apologize. You will find that here, no one bashes or flames you for asking a question. Just because you do not know the answer does not mean you're stupid. This is how you learn things and what we aim for here
    Thank you what a pleasant change this is over other forums that you would become "Road Kill" for asking questions..............

  7. #7
    HarlyFan's Avatar
    HarlyFan is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Powell, Ohio
    PIN
    It on the JACKASS!
    Device
    9530 Storm 9550 Storm2
    OS
    5.0.0.530 by Lyricidal
    Posts
    469
    Liked
    0 times
    Well I thought I would give it a shot......... I downloaded Shrink App opened it up and browsed for my OS install folder by doing the search. I selected everything to delete then Clicked to Shrink My OS and then I get the error message:
    Could not find a part of the path
    C:\program files (X86) \common files\research in motion\ shared\ loader files\java

    what am I doing wrong?

    I dont know if it matters but I did the Hybrid cut and paste to the Java files and installed using loader
    Last edited by HarlyFan; 05-02-2009 at 10:32 PM.

  8. #8
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HarlyFan View Post
    Well I thought I would give it a shot......... I downloaded Shrink App opened it up and browsed for my OS install folder by doing the search. I selected everything to delete then Clicked to Shrink My OS and then I get the error message:
    Could not find a part of the path
    C:\program files (X86) \common files\research in motion\ shared\ loader files\java

    what am I doing wrong?

    I dont know if it matters but I did the Hybrid cut and paste to the Java files and installed using loader
    have you tried using just the installer file. Might be easier to do then copying and pasting.

  9. #9
    lyricidal is offline Hybrid Specialist Follow lyricidal On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    PIN
    #PinFriday
    Device
    Storm2 9550
    OS
    .1049 hybrid v2
    Posts
    402
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HarlyFan View Post
    Well I thought I would give it a shot......... I downloaded Shrink App opened it up and browsed for my OS install folder by doing the search. I selected everything to delete then Clicked to Shrink My OS and then I get the error message:
    Could not find a part of the path
    C:\program files (X86) \common files\research in motion\ shared\ loader files\java

    what am I doing wrong?

    I dont know if it matters but I did the Hybrid cut and paste to the Java files and installed using loader
    Click Browse and choose the actual OS install folder that you want shrunk
    so instead of C:\program files (X86) \common files\research in motion\ shared\ loader files\
    you want C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9530-v4.7.0.141_P4.0.0.174 (if you`re shrinking a .141 install)
    make more sense now?
    BlackBerry Hybrids - Check here for the latest hybrids
    Telus 9550 Storm2 running 5.0.0.1015/1049 Hybrid v2 + BBHybrids Tool: Shrink-A-OS
    Follow me on Twitter @theiexplorers

  10. #10
    HarlyFan's Avatar
    HarlyFan is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Powell, Ohio
    PIN
    It on the JACKASS!
    Device
    9530 Storm 9550 Storm2
    OS
    5.0.0.530 by Lyricidal
    Posts
    469
    Liked
    0 times
    I have done exactly what you said except that the RIM common files are under X86 even though I am running Vista64 (Dont understand that)

    This is what the error code reads:
    access to the path C:\program files (x86)\common files\research in motion\shared\loader files\9530-v4.7.0.141_p4.0.0.174\java\removed files is denied

    I have tried everything, any other suggestions?

    Thanks!!!

  11. #11
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HarlyFan View Post
    I have done exactly what you said except that the RIM common files are under X86 even though I am running Vista64 (Dont understand that)

    This is what the error code reads:
    access to the path C:\program files (x86)\common files\research in motion\shared\loader files\9530-v4.7.0.141_p4.0.0.174\java\removed files is denied

    I have tried everything, any other suggestions?

    Thanks!!!
    did you extract the shrink out of the .rar folder? i wasgetting an error like that too but i for got to extract it and also you arent picking the java folder are you? 9530-v4.7.0.141_p4.0.0.174 that should be the end of where you go just the os's folder

  12. #12
    lyricidal is offline Hybrid Specialist Follow lyricidal On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    PIN
    #PinFriday
    Device
    Storm2 9550
    OS
    .1049 hybrid v2
    Posts
    402
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    did you extract the shrink out of the .rar folder? i wasgetting an error like that too but i for got to extract it and also you arent picking the java folder are you? 9530-v4.7.0.141_p4.0.0.174 that should be the end of where you go just the os's folder
    also, what version are you using? 2.6?
    BlackBerry Hybrids - Check here for the latest hybrids
    Telus 9550 Storm2 running 5.0.0.1015/1049 Hybrid v2 + BBHybrids Tool: Shrink-A-OS
    Follow me on Twitter @theiexplorers

  13. #13
    HarlyFan's Avatar
    HarlyFan is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Powell, Ohio
    PIN
    It on the JACKASS!
    Device
    9530 Storm 9550 Storm2
    OS
    5.0.0.530 by Lyricidal
    Posts
    469
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lyricidal View Post
    also, what version are you using? 2.6?
    I am using 2.6 whch is your most current version isnt it?

  14. #14
    lyricidal is offline Hybrid Specialist Follow lyricidal On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    PIN
    #PinFriday
    Device
    Storm2 9550
    OS
    .1049 hybrid v2
    Posts
    402
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HarlyFan View Post
    I am using 2.6 whch is your most current version isnt it?
    yes it is
    but depending on when you downloaded it, it might not be the one I just fixed

    have you tried right clicking and Run As Administrator?
    if that doesn`t work, I would try to redownload it and see if that works
    BlackBerry Hybrids - Check here for the latest hybrids
    Telus 9550 Storm2 running 5.0.0.1015/1049 Hybrid v2 + BBHybrids Tool: Shrink-A-OS
    Follow me on Twitter @theiexplorers

  15. #15
    HarlyFan's Avatar
    HarlyFan is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Powell, Ohio
    PIN
    It on the JACKASS!
    Device
    9530 Storm 9550 Storm2
    OS
    5.0.0.530 by Lyricidal
    Posts
    469
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lyricidal View Post
    yes it is
    but depending on when you downloaded it, it might not be the one I just fixed

    have you tried right clicking and Run As Administrator?
    if that doesn`t work, I would try to redownload it and see if that works

    Right clicking on the program and Running As Administrator, SOLVED the problem!!!

    Thank you so much for sticking with me through this, Everyone here ROCKS.....:arms:

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •