What is the best process for starting over (wipe/new install)?
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: What is the best process for starting over (wipe/new install)?

  1. #1
    bgunckel's Avatar
    bgunckel is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 Hybrid v6
    Posts
    130
    Liked
    0 times

    What is the best process for starting over (wipe/new install)?

    My upgrade path was .65 -> .75 -> .114 -> .114v1 -> .114v3 -> .114v3.5.

    I found v3 to work better for me than v3.5. Had better speed and better memory control. So I tried to go back. Overwrote the v3.5 files with the v3 files, deleted vendor.xml, etc, and then ran Loader.exe. It immediately reported "loading finished". But, nothing actually happened.

    I decided to wipe the OS and then load .114 hybrid as a starting point. Loader.exe wanted nothing to do with it, so I loaded it via Desktop Manager (Internet disconnected). It loaded fine, but my free app memory after battery pulls in < 20 MB, and it falls to 5-6 MB during the day, while not in use. This makes me think that I goofed up pretty good somewhere along the line.

    So I have a few questions. First, does anyone have any ideas on next steps for improving my phone's performance other than removing themes, apps that leak memory, etc, because I'm already doing that stuff (I also found that doing that stuff didn't really save me much memory leakage; memory leakage is best controlled through proper shutting down of apps).

    Second, after performing an OS wipe, what is the correct process for loading an OS? Did I blunder by going straight to the .114 hybrid? Should I have loaded the base Verizon .75 OS first?

    Last, what is the actual process for backing up applications? Everything that I've done so far - via DM - only backs up application data. But, I had to reinstall my applications. Is that basically it?

    Thanks in advance for all your help!




  2. #2
    Stiefler is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Stiefler On Twitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Device
    Moto Droid/HTC Eris
    OS
    2.0.1/2.1
    Posts
    3,385
    Liked
    4 times
    Here is how to back-up apps **Updated**How To Back-up 3rd Party Applications**Updated - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com and here is the proper way to uninstall 3rd party apps http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/3...plication.html
    As for the correct process to install a OS after a wipe, i dont believe there is none, i preformed a wipe plenty times and one was directly to 3.5 and had no problem at all. How many apps and themes you have?

  3. #3
    Shane's Avatar
    Shane is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pa
    PIN
    yes
    OS
    5.0.xxx/.40
    Posts
    1,626
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry bgunckel, didn't see this thread and I posted comments to your problem in another thread.
    I would start over completely, Re download your OS and hybrid again, then wipe and reinstall again. As I stated in the other thread, think there may be something corrupt in what you have now.

  4. #4
    bgunckel's Avatar
    bgunckel is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 Hybrid v6
    Posts
    130
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiefler07 View Post
    Here is how to back-up apps **Updated**How To Back-up 3rd Party Applications**Updated - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com and here is the proper way to uninstall 3rd party apps http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/3...plication.html
    As for the correct process to install a OS after a wipe, i dont believe there is none, i preformed a wipe plenty times and one was directly to 3.5 and had no problem at all. How many apps and themes you have?
    Excellent feedback - thanks!

    I have plenty of apps that do not run unless instantiated. But I do have Weatherberry, Viigo, and Meterberry installed, in addition to some map apps (Google, AmazeGPS).

    But, I had all these apps installed before I began this latest adventure. Running .114 v3 I would have ~ 32 MB free app memory after a battery pull, and it would only drop to 25 - 28 MB throughout the day.

    With v3.5 app memory started out higher, and then dropped to the same as v3 during the day.

  5. #5
    bgunckel's Avatar
    bgunckel is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 Hybrid v6
    Posts
    130
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanepark2 View Post
    Sorry bgunckel, didn't see this thread and I posted comments to your problem in another thread.
    I would start over completely, Re download your OS and hybrid again, then wipe and reinstall again. As I stated in the other thread, think there may be something corrupt in what you have now.
    That makes sense - thanks!

    BTW, it was my post in the other thread that made me think I should create a new thread to handle some of these similar, yet different, questions.

  6. #6
    bgunckel's Avatar
    bgunckel is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 Hybrid v6
    Posts
    130
    Liked
    0 times
    BTW, some new application showed up after reinstalling v3. It's searching for certificates. Doesn't state what kind of certs, but it made me think something was missing in the install.

    I'm thinking of reinstalling .75, and then upgrading to one of the hybrids from there.

  7. #7
    gatewayad's Avatar
    gatewayad is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow gatewayad On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Device
    9530/Droid
    Posts
    567
    Liked
    0 times
    Not to interupt, but here is what i did, wiped and put .75 back on the DM and BBerry, then put .113 on then loaded the 3.5, when the straight .122 came out from Bell i tried it right over .113 v 3.5 and running extremely well, fast ... memory holding good and very happy. camera and accelerometer could be quicker so i am waiting for BBC to come up with the v4

  8. #8
    808Storming's Avatar
    808Storming is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hawaii
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Lyric 5.0.0.419 w/ 4
    Posts
    125
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bgunckel View Post
    BTW, some new application showed up after reinstalling v3. It's searching for certificates. Doesn't state what kind of certs, but it made me think something was missing in the install.

    I'm thinking of reinstalling .75, and then upgrading to one of the hybrids from there.
    Sorry, I also posted comments to your query in another thread.
    You might consider just installing .113 on your pc, then the v3.5 on top of that, then back up your apps, then wipe, then reinstall the v3.5. (skip reinstalling .75)
    This worked for me and v3.5 is running very stable on my phone.

  9. #9
    bgunckel's Avatar
    bgunckel is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 Hybrid v6
    Posts
    130
    Liked
    0 times
    So, what apps are you guys running? Are you running any that have been known to be resource hogs, such as Weatherberry or Meterberry?

  10. #10
    Sooner33's Avatar
    Sooner33 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    California
    PIN
    Ask and I Might Tell
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    .131 + 5.0 Hybrid
    Posts
    180
    Liked
    0 times
    here is a question , i know a while back someone with good knowledge actually said wiping your device doesnt actually totally wipe everything off of it ? is that true ?
    BOOMER SOONER

  11. #11
    thetruth's Avatar
    thetruth is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    PIN
    304C7468
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    5.0 Hybrid
    Posts
    279
    Liked
    0 times
    how can i wipe my device? also, why is it necessary to wipe a device?
    Last edited by thetruth; 04-21-2009 at 05:48 PM.

  12. #12
    gatewayad's Avatar
    gatewayad is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow gatewayad On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Device
    9530/Droid
    Posts
    567
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooner33 View Post
    here is a question , i know a while back someone with good knowledge actually said wiping your device doesnt actually totally wipe everything off of it ? is that true ?


    you are correct it does not totally wipe out the device, just your data, all the apps, and all programs. The core parts remains in place and that is why it says "update" whereas everything else is "install"

  13. #13
    gatewayad's Avatar
    gatewayad is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow gatewayad On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Device
    9530/Droid
    Posts
    567
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
    how can i wipe my device? also, why is it necessary to wipe a device?
    Honestly I wouldnt wipe unless you had to, there is so much debate as to which is better wipe or just load over an OS, if you are not having problems dont make any, it's not a hard process to wipe using JLCmdr
    But read and watch this first
    http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/b...commander.html
    But if you do read the post on backing up your apps
    http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/b...arty-apps.html
    and have the os of choice on DM ready to reinstall.


    It's not that it's hard to do but if you dont need to dont. just my opinion

  14. #14
    cruznthru's Avatar
    cruznthru is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Posts
    793
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gatewayad View Post
    Honestly I wouldnt wipe unless you had to, there is so much debate as to which is better wipe or just load over an OS, if you are not having problems dont make any, it's not a hard process to wipe using JLCmdr
    But read and watch this first
    http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/b...commander.html
    But if you do read the post on backing up your apps
    http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/b...arty-apps.html
    and have the os of choice on DM ready to reinstall.


    It's not that it's hard to do but if you dont need to dont. just my opinion
    Good Advice..

  15. #15
    bgunckel's Avatar
    bgunckel is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 Hybrid v6
    Posts
    130
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay, here's the path I finally chose...

    I went all the way back to the official release version of .75, downloaded from the VZW web site. Ran it for a couple days. I was surprised to see that I would have > 32mb free app memory after reboots/battery pulls. Battery life was extremely good, and app memory reclamation was very good, staying between 25-30mb and even remaining > 30mb throughout the day while holstered.

    I installed .114 leak this morning, and then followed that up with .114 v3.5. I'll keep an eye on it until the v4 release.

    Thanks everyone for all your help!

  16. #16
    stremkt is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    Blackberry Storm 9530
    OS
    4.7.0.122 (Platform 4.0.0.114)
    Posts
    15
    Liked
    0 times
    I always do a clean wipe and then a fresh install.

    Every time I just do a install I end up with error messages when I do a battery pull, some language java message.

    And wiping with jlcommander is not as horrific as it people make it out to be.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •