You know the drill :)
You know the drill :)
Wow. I'm SO loading this onto my flip. If I can find it.
I believe our Linda has a flip pearl too. Hopefully she enjoys this build as well!!! :)
Does it works in a 8220???
I can't get it to load.
That's because I have 8220. GR
My wife and my daughter both have the 8230. I'll get it loaded, but it will be this evening before I have a chance :(
I'll post results ASAP
*LOL* I go to bed early last night and missed this. Going to download it and give it a try, if I have enough time I will actually activate my Flip once it's loaded to test things like radio and browser - however I give no guarantees as I am going to need the Storm's full GPS later on this afternoon.
Whatever findings I do come up with, I will report ASAP.
OK, so i've never had any luck with the other OSes that can be found on various carriers for the 8230 (.236; .287 or whatever it was) - they would simply fail to show up (8230 Flip on VZW)
However, this 5.0 release is something different, as it actually did show up in apploader.
And I humbly aplogize in advance for what I am about to say, but feel it must be said to commemorate the special moment:
"INSTALLING NOW! :D:D:D"
Generally, what happens is if I do the online MEID swap, it lets me go Storm-->Flip no problem, but balks at going Flip-->Storm. Last time I tried it, I used the new *228 option 3; and it worked, but having only used it for one swap; I guess I just don't trust it 100% yet.
Well, it's booting for the first time, so i'll start a little findings post and update it as I find stuff:
- has the new BlackBerry boot screen on inside and outside LCDs
- seems to hang at about the 33% mark for quite awhile on first boot, much like Storm (EDIT: wow, this is taking a LONG time!)
- at first glance, looks identical to 4.6.1.xxx; has the 5.0 media folder layout and the event sounds. Also has the 5.0 Options menu layout and the new Applications list by category - connections and clock settings NOT accessible from main screen
- seems very snappy, no lag
- threaded SMS
- boot up time from battery pull (counting from time battery touches contacts to time startup chime is heard) is around 2 minutes, 10 seconds.
- 61.5MB free App memory after a fresh battery pull. This is on a non-shrunken OS with Help and Languages not installed.
- more font size options, can go from 5pt to 14pt; 188.8.131.52 only went as low as 7pt. Useful on a device this size to fit more on-screen.
- 3G icon
- browser nothing to write home about, still takes forever to load BBOS front page (around 2 minutes) - does a relatively nice job displaying it, though.
- Bluetooth volume seems a bit higher
- Audio volume doesn't seem to get asininely high like the 9530 version of .230
- For some reason, an icon for net_rim_tid_multitap appears in the Downloads folder. I am going to hide it and not mess with it, though.
- Radio seems decent, holding the same 2-3 bars of 3G in my basement that 184.108.40.206 did
- Does NOT reset the PRL to 0 like the Storm version of 220.127.116.11 does after a battery pull
- Just like other 5.0 releases, the Flip can now properly render PDF files in the browser
- Once media player is used, won't display time on outside display until a battery pull is done. Keeps displaying track info even though app is closed
All in all, so far doesn't seem so much different from 18.104.22.168 - alot less dramatic of a difference than say 22.214.171.124 on the Storm vs. 126.96.36.199 on the Storm (although I wasn't expecting such a dramatic difference as we saw with the Storm)
One thing I will note (and this is NOT 5.0 specific, more of a general recommendation for the 8230) is that Opera Mini v4.x is a much better fit for the flip than 5.0 beta is. I like 5.0s interface on the flip, but it is simply too laggy.
EDIT: A rather amusing observation. Theme-wise, 188.8.131.52 on the 8230 seems to be the opposite of 184.108.40.206 on the Storm. In the case of the 8230, I am able to use themes that had refused to work properly on 220.127.116.11 - ones that were advertised as being 8230 compatible.
I am curious dave how does the boot time compare to the previous OS? Is it faster? Also the available memory is that more or less than previous?
Available memory is quite a bit lower, I usually started out with almost 70MB free on 18.104.22.168; have 61.1MB currently on 22.214.171.124
Anyone having issues with appworld? It loads and then tells me that it can not connect to app world server try again later.
I was finally able to load this on the wife's Flip. Overall Dave is right on target with his findings. A few things that I've noticed are:
NO external notifications. None, nunca, zilch...Dave? Any ideas here?
Browser speeds are not better than before, although it renders better
After reboot/batt pull the default theme returns no matter what theme you set
When a message is received and the flip is opened, it goes to the home screen
This is on both my wife's and my daughter's Flip. The external notification issue is huge for them. Soooooooo I'm hearing ALL about it. :)