OK, so i've never had any luck with the other OSes that can be found on various carriers for the 8230 (.236; .287 or whatever it was) - they would simply fail to show up (8230 Flip on VZW)
However, this 5.0 release is something different, as it actually did show up in apploader.
And I humbly aplogize in advance for what I am about to say, but feel it must be said to commemorate the special moment:
"INSTALLING NOW! :D:D:D"
Generally, what happens is if I do the online MEID swap, it lets me go Storm-->Flip no problem, but balks at going Flip-->Storm. Last time I tried it, I used the new *228 option 3; and it worked, but having only used it for one swap; I guess I just don't trust it 100% yet.
Well, it's booting for the first time, so i'll start a little findings post and update it as I find stuff:
- has the new BlackBerry boot screen on inside and outside LCDs
- seems to hang at about the 33% mark for quite awhile on first boot, much like Storm (EDIT: wow, this is taking a LONG time!)
- at first glance, looks identical to 4.6.1.xxx; has the 5.0 media folder layout and the event sounds. Also has the 5.0 Options menu layout and the new Applications list by category - connections and clock settings NOT accessible from main screen
- seems very snappy, no lag
- threaded SMS
- boot up time from battery pull (counting from time battery touches contacts to time startup chime is heard) is around 2 minutes, 10 seconds.
- 61.5MB free App memory after a fresh battery pull. This is on a non-shrunken OS with Help and Languages not installed.
- more font size options, can go from 5pt to 14pt; 22.214.171.124 only went as low as 7pt. Useful on a device this size to fit more on-screen.
- 3G icon
- browser nothing to write home about, still takes forever to load BBOS front page (around 2 minutes) - does a relatively nice job displaying it, though.
- Bluetooth volume seems a bit higher
- Audio volume doesn't seem to get asininely high like the 9530 version of .230
- For some reason, an icon for net_rim_tid_multitap appears in the Downloads folder. I am going to hide it and not mess with it, though.
- Radio seems decent, holding the same 2-3 bars of 3G in my basement that 126.96.36.199 did
- Does NOT reset the PRL to 0 like the Storm version of 188.8.131.52 does after a battery pull
- Just like other 5.0 releases, the Flip can now properly render PDF files in the browser
- Once media player is used, won't display time on outside display until a battery pull is done. Keeps displaying track info even though app is closed
All in all, so far doesn't seem so much different from 184.108.40.206 - alot less dramatic of a difference than say 220.127.116.11 on the Storm vs. 18.104.22.168 on the Storm (although I wasn't expecting such a dramatic difference as we saw with the Storm)
One thing I will note (and this is NOT 5.0 specific, more of a general recommendation for the 8230) is that Opera Mini v4.x is a much better fit for the flip than 5.0 beta is. I like 5.0s interface on the flip, but it is simply too laggy.
EDIT: A rather amusing observation. Theme-wise, 22.214.171.124 on the 8230 seems to be the opposite of 126.96.36.199 on the Storm. In the case of the 8230, I am able to use themes that had refused to work properly on 188.8.131.52 - ones that were advertised as being 8230 compatible.
I am curious dave how does the boot time compare to the previous OS? Is it faster? Also the available memory is that more or less than previous?
Available memory is quite a bit lower, I usually started out with almost 70MB free on 184.108.40.206; have 61.1MB currently on 220.127.116.11
Anyone having issues with appworld? It loads and then tells me that it can not connect to app world server try again later.